Review by JonWood007

"Horrible game"

War Rock is a free first person shooter you can download at www.warrock.net. You can play it for free, but there is also the option of playing for premium membership where you get more benefits. Overall, I find this game to be mediocre, even for a free game.

Graphics- 4/10

The graphics on this game are pretty bad, even on high settings. They are probably a step above Crossfire's, but that is not saying much. The game looks like a high-end Nintendo 64 game, or perhaps like a Dreamcast game. Moreover, when I played this game before upgrading my computer, it lagged more than Soldier Front did, despite having far worse graphics than Soldier Front.

Audio- 7/10

The audio in this game is also mediocre. Gunshots do not sound that great. However, the music is decent.

Controls- 8/10

The controls are pretty decent. You can bind them decently if you use the asdw scheme for movement and base everything around that. However, I had problems binding stuff to arrow keys in the past.

Game Play- 2/10

The game play is similar to Soldier Front and Counter Strike in the sense that the game features round-based combat. The game normally consist of two teams, one attacks and one defends. This leads to good game play that can be fun if executed correctly. You buy weapons to use in the game like you would in Combat Arms. However, you can only own them for like 7 or 30 days, depending on how much you pay for them, so you have to keep re-buying them. A major problem I have with this system is that many of the good weapons are premium weapons. Moreover, the in-game weapon mechanics could be better; the cross hairs are about as wide as Texas in this game.

Not only are some of the best weapons premium, but the game requires you pay money in order to play half the maps if you host a room. This is nothing but a cheap attempt to get people to shell out money on their precious game. Everything in this game seems to be based around getting people to pay money, even though the game is free to play.

I have to say that this game easily has the worst lag system of any game I have ever played. Soldier Front looks good in comparison. Even the worst lag spikes possible on F.E.A.R. (which can amount to over 2,000 ping by the way) are favorable to this garbage. I have literally shot people, died, and then like ten seconds after I died, it comes up on my screen that I killed this guy. I am dead serious. That is flat out game breaking. To make it worse, the game is often played by little kids who blame each other for said lag problems when it is really the game and its horrid servers that make everything so laggy.

Fun Factor- 1/10

I really do not get any enjoyment out of this game. Every time I install this, I uninstall it after two rounds because the game is just not fun.

Replay Value- 4/10

There are around four maps that are available for all users. In order to play all other maps, you need to join game rooms hosted by people with premium accounts or actually buy a premium account yourself. It is a joke.

Difficulty/Learning Curve- 7/10

This game takes a little while to get used to but I don't think that the learning curve is any worse than any other game.

Overall - 2/10

Overall, War Rock is a "free" first person shooter. Despite the fact that it is free to play, the game tries at every angle to try to get you to buy premium items such as weapons and even levels. The game play itself is also rather broken, especially due to horrid lag issues that make every other game with lag problems look good by comparison.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 05/29/07, Updated 04/02/09

Game Release: War Rock (US, 02/07/07)