Review by thezirk

"Good game, but far from perfect"

Gameplay - 7/10
The gameplay of Crysis is its best asset. The game is fairly open, and allows you to take your own route to objectives, customize your weapons and nanosuit as you see fit, and rely on either stealth or brute force to dispatch enemies. Unfortunately, open-ended gameplay isn't really that open-ended. In one early mission, you are forced to enter an enemy base through a specific entrance, or the game won't advance the plot. I found this out when I tried to blow a hole through a chain-link fence on the far-side of the base and complete the objective that way. After all that work, I had to restart the level and do it the way the developers intended. Beyond that, in my levels, you'll be pretty much limited to one route to your objective. This is especially true after you start encountering the aliens. Also, the selection of weapons and weapon customizations is pretty limited. Most weapons can be equipped with one of four different kinds of scopes, a flashlight/laser sight, and a silencer. Some weapons can also be equipped with a grenade launcher or a tranquilizer dart. These can all be changed out in real-time, but all you really need is a rifle with a laser sight to handle most enemies. The nanosuit does not disappoint. You can use it to jump over walls, throw enemies over cliffs, sneak up on unsuspecting foes, move quickly between enemies and objectives, and to absorb damage in a firefight. There are only four nanosuit modes, but they all offer some new and exciting ways to play. Furthermore, you can toggle between them very easily, so you'll be using all four throughout the game. All in all, the gameplay is a refreshing departure from most FPS, but doesn't reach its full potential.

Story - 9/10
I really enjoyed the story. You play as a member of the U.S. special forces. At first, the game mostly pits you against the North Koreans, but you eventually uncover a much greater threat, and the story shifts to trying to defeat a race of ancient, super-advanced aliens. The environments in the later stages of the game are especially immersive.

Graphics - 8/10
This game was built to have the best graphics available today. Of course, most of us aren't able to play the game on high settings. With my 7800GT, I was able to play on mostly medium settings. Unfortunately, there was still some major choppiness in some cutscenes, but during actual gameplay everything ran very smooth. The world is simply beautiful, and the extra effort they put into making the graphics superb really shows.

Sound - 10/10
The music really adds to the experience. It adds a sense of anticipation, excitement, and fear. Overall no real complaints here.

Play Time/Replayability - 5/10
I know people are saying you can replay this game over and over because you can complete every mission in many different ways, but I didn't find this to be true. Many missions are pretty straightforward and linear, and while the story is good, I wouldn't want to play through it again. Furthermore, the game is way too short. I know this is supposed to be the first in a series of three games, but it feels more like 1/3 of a game. I completed it in about 10 hours, taking my time.

Overall - 8/10
Overhyped, but I'd certainly recommend buying this game. If you're an FPS fan, you'll really enjoy it. Just make sure your computer can run it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/07

Game Release: Crysis (US, 11/13/07)