Review by bobthehydra

"Surprised the heck out of me."

Football? On the PC? All my gamer friends are appalled at the thought. But I wanted to try it anyway.

Not the best graphics I've seen but still perfectly acceptable. The PC version isn't as high grade as the 360 version or any of the next gen consoles.

Here it gets tricky. If you have a gamepad(or preferably more for head to head) for your computer then the only problem is learning which button is what number. However, if you lack a gamepad then you're in for a frustrating time, and heaven help you if you want to play head to head too. Gameplay is pretty much the same as all other versions except for a few missing features like the new kick meter.

All the modes are there; Franchise, Superstar, Online Play, etc. It also has all those nifty features like the roster editor, team creation, player creation, and even fan creation.

Franchise mode is great, but it would be nice if you could start with the 06 draft. Other than that I've no gripes with it. Pick your favorite team and turn them into a dynasty. You can even move them to a new city.

Superstar mode seems well put together but it gets tedious after a while. Just practice, practice, play, with a few other events thrown in now and again. However, learning to play each position can keep you entertained for quite some time.

Head to head is just like on the console if you have the controllers. There are even work arounds to get partial co-op play.

If you've played any other newer madden games you'll find that the other features are pretty much the same.

I loved that I could toss EA's music(though some of it is pretty good) for my mp3 folder. I did not like that I couldn't actually listen to the music while in a game. Other than that, the announcers and commentators are pretty limited in what they say and can become irritating. Especially in Superstar mode. I don't know why but you only get the announcer in Superstar mode, and he is even more limited in what he says. He says almost the same thing, every single play with few variations. He will drive you insane if you don't turn him off.

Customization: 4/10
This is why I originally liked the thought of a PC football game and this is the only area where I was really disappointed. Customization options right now are slim. You can make uniforms, create custom rosters(Can do this on other version I assume), people have made a modified roster and teams for college football which is pretty nifty. But other than custom leagues and uniforms there isn't much to mod. You can't add player portraits or anything like that.

It's a decent game, gameplay is great, graphics are fine. If you like the idea of custom leagues and skinning your own uniforms, and don't mind last years graphics and a couple of missing features that aren't game breaking, then you might want to pick up this version. If you don't care for the idea of custom leagues or your own uniforms and want top of the line graphics, then go with one of the console versions. The sound will have the same problems no matter where you go, but its been about the same for years.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/04/06