Review by Stenven

"Battlefield 2142: A Successful Experiment"

Background Story: The 22nd century was suppose to be a time of great progress, but unfortunately for mankind for one reason or another, another ice age has begun. Because of the advancing glaciers down toward mainland Europe, Asia, and North America, the EU (European Union) and the PAC (Pan Asian Coalition) will fight over the last remaining habitable land. The stage is set for the next World War, taking place mostly in Europe and Africa and the war has no end in sight.

Graphics: As you may have heard, the engine for Battlefield 2142 was the same for Battlefield 2, and though technically nothing was changed, the textures and skins are definitely different from each game. The weapons and vehicles in Battlefield 2142 are good, and what you'd expect from the future. Though some people are upset that there are no lasers and plasma guns in this game, Battlefield 2142 shows us a realistic future, not a Star Wars one. As stated before, the graphics were not changed, but for all purposes, the graphics are good quality and you will not be disappointed.

I give the graphics an 8 out of 10.

Gameplay: The gameplay is where I personally think were this game shines. Combat is fast paced, and sometimes when you're watching a pitched battle between the two opposing forces, you can only watch in awe. Battlewalkers, drop pods, hover tanks, and hover craft dot Battlefield 2142's landscape and it is simply amazing.

For the individual soldier, combat whirls around you and the constant chatter from your commander and teammates helps you with idea that you're in a simulated battlefield. The physics for the game are also improved as well over Battlefield 2 since all the character models have been weighed down. Though this makes your character run slower, bodies when hit by explosions don't go flying across the map. Also if you're very concerned with the sprint distance of your character you can always use light armor instead of body armor under customization.

For gameplay, I give a 10 out of 10.

Sound: The soundtrack for Battlefield 2142 is probably one of the best soundtracks of any Battlefield game (Though Battlefield: Vietnam had classic 60's & 70's music, I'm talking about the general soundtrack). Each map when loading has a different song which gets you in the mood for each game, and even the menu song is decent. The overall sound of weapons and vehicles in the game is good, though it's nothing special overall

For sound, I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Replay: The replay of this game is amazing since the ranking system is balanced and there are numerous medals and ribbons to obtain. The unlocking system is also well thought out too, and is balanced as well. Also, given that it's a Battlefield series, the replay is usually good.

For replay, I give a 9 out of 10.

Other: One thing that has plagued Battlefield games is they're stability and issues with crashes and other assortments of things. Though I must say that the loading times have been greatly improved, generally everyone is experiencing CTD's and lag issues. For this, all I can is that the game is still very new, and you should give EA time to patch the game.

For other, I give a 7.5 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/24/06