Review by Anfronio

"A step up from Battlefield 2"

Well, here we have it. Battlefield 2142 is now out and reaching homes all over the world. Why, thousands of people are playing it while you read this. Is this really a game you want to go out of your way to play? In my opinion, it is.

Plot: 8/10

Well, it's the year 2142 and another ice age has befallen Earth. There are two remaining factions fighting over the remaining land, causing cities and well known areas to become futuristic battlefields. There is quite an extensive storyline for an online FPS, which I found unusual compared to games such as Counter-Strike. Even so, the storyline isn't very important in the game. You'll probably just want to own other players. I'm giving the plot 8/10 because it breaks the usual online FPS barriers.

The graphics are fair. Compared to other new FPS games however, it is not overly impressive, compared to the hardware requirements. The character models are quite detailed, as is the environment. The guns and equipment impressed me, however. They added a change to the common weapons found today, and alot of effort was put into the models.

The sound was pretty impressive. A seasoned gamer would be able to recognise different vehicles and guns after a day's playing. The futuristic gunfire and weaponry suited the situation, earning sound a nice 9/10. The only downside, however, was the speech. Although the voice is quite refreshing, the commander's "All right everyone, we've got enemy forces." spammed multiple times on my radio bummed me out. But that's just me, don't let it affect your opinion of this game.

So here's the heart of the review. The gameplay of this game resembles your normal online FPS, with the extra features added. You've got a multitude of different vehicles and weaponry at your disposal, each effective at their own thing. The beginning weaponry is nothing special, because the game only gets really exciting once you unlock special gadgets. They're all very fun to play with, such as the active camouflage, and the motion mines. If you don't like your beginning weapon, you've got two unlock trees to progress up and earn yourself a new gun. There are much more fun ways to kill your enemies now, too. Knifing an enemy to death earns you their dog tag, which you can keep as a trophy. You can use the assault pods, deployed from certain vehicles, to land on and crush your enemies. The APMs (Anti-Personal-Mines, or claymores) are great for those of you who can't defend yourself. With all this in mind, I was quite let down by the server issues. Whenever a titan moves, it causes the whole server to lag quite a lot. Disconnecting isn't too much of an issue here, although it does happen.

Personalisation: 9/10

The new system is great. With each enemy you kill, you earn a point. As with badges and pins earned, you earn points. Destroying enemy titans will earn you points. What do these points do? Well, they play a large part in this game. You rank up every certain amount of points. When you rank up, you can unlock something more for your armoury. Using unlocks, you can get yourself grenades, sprint more, unlock guns, and more gadgets. This adds to the overall fun of the game, and shouldn't be overlooked.

Final Score: 9/10

Well, overall this game, Battlefield 2142 impressed me. It was very fun, and gave me something to do in my spare time. If you don't favour the Battlefield series, it's up to you whether or not you get it. I, personally, recommend buying it, but it's up to you. Keep in mind many of the bugs and glitches are still present in the game, and will hopefully be worked out.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/06/06