Review by Gastroid

"Is the game worth getting patched? I think so."

Star Wars Empire at War: Forces of Corruption

Playing the game the way that you normally should play any RTS changed my view of the game. When I say the way you should play, I mean that I patched the game, which Petroglyph wants you to do. While the other reviews cover the unpatched version, I am reviewing the true game, the way that Petroglyph wants you to play it.

Story 9/10
Who can't love the story? Tyber Zahn, the leader of the Zahn Consortium, has to build his power through corruption to achieve his goals. The way he does it, though, is amazing. An example is him stealing tibanna gas from the Empire, blaming it on rivals to have them killed. I want to see Luke Skywalker try to do that.

Graphics 8/10
The game's graphics aren't top of the line, but it stills look like the units are straight from the movies. Although the graphics themselves look shiny (the lighting seems to be bright at default), darker shades are still used often, evening out the dark and light. The lack of flashy can be seen as a good thing, as most people can run this game on their computer. To sum it up, everything looks like they should, nothing more, nothing less.

Sound 10/10
Frank Klepacki's job this time around was to create music fitting to Tyber's lifestyle, and he succeeded. Guitar riffs added to classical Star Wars music makes you feel like you are corrupting The Galaxy. As in Empire at War, the units sound just like they do in the movies, so Frank did his job well.

Gameplay 8/10
The game follows a rock, paper, scissors approach, having all the units having several (normally three) strengths and weaknesses. Added to that, there is a Population Capacity for how many units you can have on the battlefield. This makes you decide what units to send to the battlefield. The Zahn Consortium, however, has some units that break this pattern. The Consortium has some of the most powerful units that can decimate their enemies. Although this was fixed through patches, some of his units still are outstandingly powerful. Of course, this expansion is focused on this faction, so they should be able to decimate everyone, right? Eh… we'll see.

Overall Score 9/10
Playing the plain version of the game is tedious, but the patches definitely make things the way they should. Don't think this is the final version, though, as more patches will almost certainly be made.

Buy or No Buy?
Rent it first to see if you like it. If you do, I suggest getting the full copy of the game, patching it before you play. Believe me, you won't regret it.

~Gastroid