Review by XStationCube

"An okay game that had the potential to be amazing."

When I heard Assassin's Creed was coming to the PC, I was filled with joy. I had heard so many people talking about its console brethren, and so I thought "Hey, why not buy it?". Sadly, this port didn't live up to the expectations that I had grown from what I had heard about the game.

Graphics - 9/10
This is where the game truly shines. The graphics are amazing, with everything shown in crisp detail. As the characters talk, their faces move in near-perfect synchronization, and they look shockingly realistic. Of course, this is a game, not a movie, so while the graphics are important, they are not the key part of the game. The graphics are not without flaw, however. In the cutscenes, characters legs clip straight through their robes, and the screen sometimes has random flashes of blurriness.

Story- 8/10
Rather good. I was expecting yet another dull "Medieval war" story, and was happily disappointed. The writers at Ubisoft weave a delightful tale of conspiracy and deception that will be easy to enjoy for most fans. The story starts out a bit slow, but picks up later on in the game.

Gameplay - 7/10
This is where things start to go downhill. While the actual combat is amazing to watch, it's not so great when actually doing it. The controls for the PC version are rather clunky (Although the action icons on the screen are close together, to actually do them you have to press buttons seemingly randomly placed on the keyboard.). Changing weapons sometimes takes a while, and sometimes the controls don't register at all. It has a rather steep learning curve unless you're the kind of person that reads through the control section of the options menu (Like me), due to the game's habit of not naming the keys as they appear on the keyboard. The combat is amazing, however. The combos have a large range of different attacks, and the finishing moves can be fun to watch.

Sound - 6.5/10
Another flawed area. The acting is decent, and some of the Voice Actors sound like they were woken up out of bed to do their parts. Certain parts where you eavesdrop on other characters are often difficult to hear even on maximum volume, which makes you feel like you're missing an important conversation.

Overall - 7.5
Assassin's Creed is definitely a good game, but with a little more time put into its production, it could've been a great game. The way this was shoddily ported makes me feel like this game is best left on consoles, and if you have said consoles, pick that version up instead.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition (US, 04/08/08)