Review by magusx666

"Boredom's Creed"

Most of my reviews are fairly long, but I think I'll try and keep this one short. There's a lot to say about it, but very few words are supportive. Without further ado, let's begin.

GRAPHICS: 5/5
I have a low maximum score for graphics because unless the game's art style is something simply mind-blowing, the graphics are just there to compete with other games and not look out-of-date. Assassin's Creed gets full marks in this category, as even on a computer that's no longer close to high-end, it ran like a charm and looked gorgeous. I'm not sure if lips are supposed to move in other versions, but it didn't bother me too much. Good job here.

MUSIC: 3/5
The term "meh" comes to mind. The music wasn't bad, but there wasn't a single piece I can recall and I don't remember ever thinking about the music at all. Prince of Persia stomps the crap out of AC's soundtrack, no contest.

SOUNDS: 5/5
Swords, climbing on stone, people, crowds, pots breaking, and all sorts of other sounds were awesome. My only complaint is that the "you're-being-chased" sound effect plays as long as you're being chased...which can last a long time, and gets very annoying. It wasn't a big enough problem for me to count it against the game, though.

The voices were actually some of the best I've heard in a game, to be honest. Games like Bioshock, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, and No One Lives Forever will always hold the bar high in that department, but Assassin's Creed does a really good job here, especially since the voices are middle-eastern and European, which usually leads to corny voices with poor accents. AC holds its own and really shows off some believable voice work.

STORY: 4/15
Saying that there isn't a story would be untrue. There most certainly is one, and the game itself seems to keep building it up and building it up, with some big plot twist obviously about to jump out at you at any second. You're just waiting for it, and to be honest, the twists are easy to figure out. Not only are any twists obvious, they just plain suck. The story in this game was crap, and aside from the things you find out in the first ten minutes or so of the game, it feels like it was written by someone who hasn't finished high school yet.

A poor story is bad enough, but when a game isn't any fun, it's the only thing that can possibly make playing the game worthwhile. Assassin's Creed is a prime example of a game that *needed* a good story to at least make playing it not seem like a chore. And a chore is exactly what playing AC felt like. The whole time, I couldn't help thinking about how I could be playing a different game, whether it was a new title or one I'd beaten before. Well, more about that sort of thing should be in the next category...

GAMEPLAY: 2/20
This is the meat of the game. Even if a game has a crap story or doesn't even have a real story to speak of (Doom 1), its gameplay can make it an instant classic. Well, Assassin's Creed starts out feeling as though it's going to be one of the coolest games you've ever played. There are all sorts of cool things you can do, like scaling any wall with windows, ledges, bricks that are jutting out, etc., sword-fighting, blending in with the public to hide from enemies, and assassinating targets!

Sounds fun, right? It is...for about two hours or so. That's about the amount of time it'll take you to kill your first assassination target. Once you've done that, you've played the entire game. There is ***nothing*** new to see aside from a couple of sword swings and two other villages which are almost identical to the first one aside from BRICK COLOR.

AC is the epitome of repetition. Once you've finished that first assassination mission, you've seen everything aside from the crummy storyline. I had to force myself to finish the game with the hope that there would be some awesome plot twist or great character development, and neither ever really happened. Your character and one other guy go from being jackasses to respectable guys. I didn't care, and I don't think you will either.

SUMMARY: 38%, rounds up to 40% or 4/10 total score
If you play Assassin's Creed, here's what you'll get: great sound effects and voice acting, great graphics, forgettable and only "so-so" music, a horribly disappointing story, and some of the most repetitive and boring gameplay I've seen in a game that's been released in the past couple of years. Save your money. Don't even rent this, unless you don't mind playing for two to three hours then quitting, because you've basically played it all by then.

If they make a sequel, I'll look into it, but at this point, I wouldn't care one bit if they dropped the license altogether. I hope this has been helpful to you.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 10/06/08

Game Release: Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut Edition (US, 04/08/08)