Why can't I build a roof?

1. I read the lesson on how to build a room. It says you can choose auto roof, but when I do that I only get the very front of the roof or the very back of the roof and not the rest. When I turn off the auto roof it doesn't allow me to build a roof on my own. I'm currently roofless and I can't figure out why.

User Info: MiChamaMelissa

MiChamaMelissa - 7 years ago
    First I built the whole house including windows, doors, and the inside. Then I read somewhere that you should wait with the doors, windows, and the inside after putting a roof on. After reading that I tested it out on a different empty lot and that still didn't work.

Right now I went with the flat roof but it looks like a trailor.

I read on the offical site that not being able to put a roof is one of the glitches so I guess I got the bad luck of getting one of the annoying glitches.

User Info: MiChamaMelissa

MiChamaMelissa - 7 years ago

1. Did you cover the very top of the building with floor tiles? If you do that, the game counts that as a "no roof" or a flat topped building. This also happens on the Sims 2 if you do the same.

User Info: tehi_king

tehi_king - 7 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. Hmm...

Well, after you finish building the house (assuming you have walls all around) a roof will be made on its own.

User Info: poliwhirldude

poliwhirldude - 7 years ago 0 0
  2. Before you play around with the roof, go up as much story as you can to check if the game didn't put an automatic Auto Roof.

If you want to use Auto Roof you should make sure that your house is enclosed with walls around it and that the walls didn't have any "holes."
    If you want to make roof on your own make sure that your house is all done in Build Mode. Go up a story and simply drag your mouse to make a roof on the top of the house. It's better to just use Auto Roof, though.

User Info: Rayquaza_20

Rayquaza_20 - 7 years ago 0 0
  3. I've never been able to get the auto roof option to work but, to be honest, you don't even need a roof. I built an addition to a house and for 3 weeks (game time) forgot to put a roof on it and it had absolutely no effect. Though it might look a little silly most of the gameplay is in a view where you don't see your roofs much anyways and you can save money by not buying them. Of course, since most people cheat their way to virtually unlimited money how much something costs is largely irrelevant.

User Info: fshdfgh

fshdfgh - 7 years ago 0 0