Review by Shadowdudeevil

"Devil May Cry 4 has "Smokin' Sick Style""

I had never played a game in the Devil May Cry series until I recently decided to try one of the games out. After learning that the fourth game in the installation would soon be released on the PC, I decided to wait it out and get the game on launch date. This game is probably the best purchase I've made in a long time, being just as good or better than my favorite modern games, Crysis, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and Gears of War.

Story: Okay, I can't say too much about Dante's backstory because I never played a previous Devil May Cry game. However, the game's new white- haired main protagonist is Nero. Nero possesses a demonic right arm that allows him to perform great feats. He first utilizes it while fending off Dante, who assassinates Sanctus. Dante reveals to Nero that the knights of the Order are, in fact, demons, just like the him and his opponent. He then vanishes, leaving Nero confused and enraged. Nero is then given the Red Queen, his favorite sword, by his love interest, Kyrie, and the leader of the Order demands that Nero sets off after Dante to bring him to justice for killing Sanctus.

Rating: N/A (I prefer not to have a game's plot affect its rating)

Graphics: In a nutshell, this game is simply gorgeous. Nero's Devil Bringer looks simply phenomenal if this game is run at Super High settings. His Buster moves are great looking, ranging from plunging an enemy's lance straight through his body before blasting him away to throwing a few sword slashes Dante's way that he parries before you block his sword with your arm and throw him back. The enemies look great, and the bosses (although there aren't that many of them) are epic looking. Your 9800GX2 will gobble this game up and then ask for more.

Rating: 10/10

Sound: The few songs you hear throughout the game are pretty much an industrial- techno- metal hybrid, and you'll either love it or hate it. I thought it was kind of fun for a video game. I've heard better, and I've heard worse. It can get repetitive hearing the same battle music over and over... "The time has come and so have I / I'll laugh last 'cause you came to die / The damage done, the pain subsides / and I can see the fear clear when I look in your eyes". After a day or two, you'll find it embedded in your head.

Rating: 6/10 for having a brain- eating zombie battle track that you can't get out of your head

Gameplay: The gameplay in Devil May Cry 4 is wonderful. Most hack 'n' slash games allow you to abuse one move to death and finish the game easily. However, with Devil May Cry's style meter, using one move over and over won't net you style points, and you're forced to mix it up. Life never regenerates by itself and health orbs are scarce. Nobody buys healing items in favor of saving up for blue/ purple orbs, so you're stuck with 2 or 3 bars for most of the level in harder difficulties. The tutorial makes it seem as if the game would hold your hand throughout the entire story, but after that one mission, it pretty much leaves you to either kill or be killed. Later enemies, such as the Blitz, can take you down all by themselves if you aren't careful. Bosses, especially the quick- moving, human- sized ones (the Angelos and Dante, to be specific), were really entertaining because it was more a battle of wits and reflexes than of power. Even Dante's backtracking missions only get annoying in one part (the forest level).

Rating: 9/10

Playtime/Replayability: I play games a little slow, and I finished the Devil Hunter mode on my first playthrough in around 15 hours. The game is extremely fun on Legendary Dark Knight mode, so if you want a challenge, you've got it. Scarecrows will tear you apart in this mode, so you'll have a lot of fun! Still, 15 hours is a little short.

Rating: 7.5/10

Buy/Rent?: Despite the fact that this game is amazing, it's a pretty short experience. Rent it for 2 weeks and you should be done with Devil Hunter and Legendary Dark Knight mode. However, those may very well be some of the best two week of your entire gaming life.

Verdict: Rent

Final Rating: 9/10. Rent this game and you won't be disappointed. However, once you are done experiencing its awesomeness, you probably won't be playing it much anymore, so buying it may not be the wisest choice. Completionists, however, should definitely buy the game, as it will take a long time to finish every single mode to get all of the unlockables.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/08

Game Release: Devil May Cry 4 (US, 07/08/08)