Review by Alpha centauri

"Dear TimeGate, Please clean up your mess."

Time gate has released the second expansion pack to the hit game F.E.A.R. By now most people know that Monolith, the creators of F.E.A.R., have lost the rights to the game title when they split from Vivendi Studios. And to suck a little more money from the consumer Time gate was given the jaunting task to make the expansion packs. While the first felt an awful lot like the original F.E.A.R, Perseus Mandate feels somehow different. Something you can't really put your finger on. Their are new weapons, new enemies; Night crawlers, and some new scares in store for you. As well as a small explanation to the Perseus project, and what happened.

Graphics - 6/10

Time gate hasn't taken the time to update the F.E.A.R engine at all. Everything is the same as the original, the textures, the polygons, weapon designs, detail, particle effects, nothing has changed. In fact, sometimes during the game things seem to look a little worse. Such as the walls are just too bland, and some of the objects in game just don't seem complete, missing a label, or are to jagged. I am kind of disappointed in Time Gate for this; since other companies, like Id and Valve, are reusing older engines but they are being upgraded. The graphics are by no means bad, but a little something extra in this department could have helped, especially for people that really like good graphics.

Sound - 6/10

Once again we got same old same old. Another department that was practically untouched. The Replica soldiers still sound the same, in fact I don't think they even added a single word to their vocabulary. They got some different voice actors for Rowdy Betters, and Paxton Fettel, which really annoy you at times, you do get used to it after awhile, but it would have been nice to keep the originals. The new weapons in the game have some unique sounds, the V.E.S advanced rifle has, probably, the newest and greatest sound that was introduced to the game, the steady sound of the shots give it a nice ring. Now comes your new enemies, the Nightcrawlers. I cannot stand the voices of these guys. They sound like they are underwater, and they talk fast so you really have a hard time understanding what they are saying without subtitles.

Gameplay- 8/10

The atmosphere of Perseus Mandate is more action packed than the original and the first expansion. In those two you would fight at the most 7 Replicas. That's not the case this time around. You fight 7 Night crawlers, Replicas, or A.T.C guards at once almost every time whats even better is that Night crawlers are nearly twice as strong as Replicas and they have the V.E.S rifle which can eat your health down fast! A.T.C also got a nice boost, they have riot guards now, though a little stronger than their rent-a-cop counterparts they still go down pretty easy. The big things that changed in the game play is you are no longer the F.E.A.R Point-man you played in the original and Extraction Point. You are part of a second F.E.A.R team sent in to learn more about Perseus Project. It's hard to describe but it feels so different playing the new guy. The second big thing is Alma, you really don't see her very much in the game maybe 5 times, most of your scares will come from ghosts, or the paranormal things that where introduced in the first expansion. The game play as a whole has not really changed, but Time Gate did add to it a bit which is nice.

Controls - 7/10

Yet again, nothing has changed, what you played in the original F.E.A.R and Extraction point is seen here.

Story- 6/10

After the original F.E.A.R made some sense out of it's storyline. When the first expansion came out, everything that resembled a story went to hell, and we where left with more questions than answers. So we ask ourselves, are any of these questions solved? Not really, if anything Perseus Mandate just adds to the pile. The overview of the story is your a second F.E.A.R team being sent in to uncover the secret about the Perseus Project. Throughout the game you do learn more about the Perseus Project, but in the end we are left with more questions than answers. In all, Time Gate really wrecked the original storyline. What made sense in the original F.E.A.R no longer makes any sense. Time gate really needed to clean up the mess, not add it it.

Scare Factor 4/10

Maybe it was just me. But this game was not as creepy or scary as the other two. For starters we do not see Alma hardly at all in this game, and the paranormal entities can only be used so much. Their are a few things that will make you jump, but I don't want to spoil it for you. Just be know that Alma probably will not scare you this game, neither will Fettel.

Perseus Mandate is not a bad expansion by any means. The engine has not been updated at all which does hurt it. When people say, we've played this game twice, they are right. The original was unique and fresh, and an expansion was a must, but a third time is too much. The storyline has become a mess, and since Monolith is disregarding the expansions, for it's upcoming game, Project Origin, we may never see closure to Time Gate's storyline.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/07

Game Release: F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (US, 11/06/07)