Review by MaggotOfEvil

"Too many mistakes"

I had been following the release of Far Cry 2 for a few months and I seemed to be looking forward to it more each day. I didn't expect much more then what they were offering: an open-ended world, with many realistic approaches to missions, and an infinite amount of things to do - basically, Grand Theft Auto in Africa.

Unfortunately, what I got was a hyped up game, with no where near the amount of freedom promised.

Graphics - 10/10
It was great to see that a lot of effort was put into this section. Whilst not being the incredible graphics that Crysis did, it was still a great piece of eye candy - without the price! The optomisation in this game was done very well with pretty much zero cutdown on quality, it's just amazing. I love nothing more then to crack open a beer and watch the beautiful sunset. Bravo Ubisoft!

Story - 3/10
...and that is where the praise ends. This game has a very poor story, to be blunt. Your thrown into Africa to find a man known as The Jackal, who has been retailing weapons and ammo for the country for a while, and is basically the cause of all the problems. That's where your game begins and the story ends. Your whole objective is to complete the main mission by doing a load of irrelevant sidequests. I won't spoil too much as I did enjoy a few corners the story took, but for the most part, boring.

Sound - 8/10
This game has a lot of standard ambient background noise, with a decent amount of quality. Although nothing outstanding, I appreciate the effort they put in to make parts of the game feel real - such as a wildlife stampede, and birds squaking in the forest. You can hear the gunfire casings fall onto the ground, and the guns themselves sound powerful enough.

Controls -
Well I won't say too much about this, as they are completely customizable, but one pet-peeve was that the main menu mouse is sluggish and annoying to navigate. Other then that, simple layout, nice work.

Gameplay - 3/10
So many broken promises here. I'll start off firstly with the open-ended world - yep, it is completely free roam, do-whatever-you-want style, but still so linear! There are an insane amount of enemies waiting for you at every corner, from the fast-respawning guard posts, to the 2 or 3 people in the middle of nowhere, somehow carrying a sniper rifle and an LMG. This, mixed in with the poor navigation, can make for a frustrating and boring environment. You get a small amount of ammo to roam Africa with, but if you pick up another gun from an enemy, you'll usually jam it after the first few shots. I appreciate the attempt at realism, but please, it was just an annoyance. And don't even get me started on Malaria - what is the point? This seems like their attempt to restrict your even more, by forcing you to go find more pills every 40 minutes or so. Navigation, for the first few hours, were bearable, but when you get a mission to go to the other side of the map, you just groan. Speaking of missions, these are so incredibly repetitive and boring (I realise I use those words alot) that you just stop having fun and play it for completion's sake. Fire burns out too quickly, enemies take too many bullets for malnourished people in singlets, and wildlife hunting is a yawnfest. All of these combine to make an unpolished, seriously overhyped game.

In conclusion, I do not recommend this if you are after a free-feeling game to pass the time for a few days. You might enjoy this more if you want a bit of mindless shooting, but other then that, stay away.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/08

Game Release: Far Cry 2 (AU, 10/23/08)

Would you recommend this