Review by AgentsAreGO

"Pure Awesomeness"

There are many freeware 2D platform games out there on the internet, many of which I already played, but in my opinion Cave Story is just the greatest of them. Stop your search now and enjoy this one!

It's flawless. The controls,challenge, level design...everything is just perfect. There are some levels in the game you might have to try more than twice but you are always motivated to beat those because of the great plot which unfolds slowly as you progress turning your gaming experience from "I don't get what they are talking about!" to "Wow, now it all makes perfect sense!". I would like to point out one especially great aspect of the game here: the weapon upgrade system. When you kill enemies they sometimes drop experience which upgrades your weapons when collecting it. That way your lame laser pistol turns to a powerful monster basher. I can guarantee as soon as you get a new weapon you will want to max it out immediately.

As mentioned above the plot is very good. It starts out pretty cliche but as the game progresses you figure out that the plot is very well conceived and if you look at it in complete it turns out that the developer actually put very much effort into this.

If I had to bring up a negative aspect it would be the graphics. They are not that great from nowadays' standards but the fit the game extremely well and support the old school-platform game feeling you get when playing Cave Story.

Sounds: 10/10
Don't wanna say much about this but the music's great. The background music as well as the sound effects were made with much effort and never go on your nerves.

Replay Value: 10/10
You might not expect that from a 2D platformer but there are three different endings. There are also some differences during the actual gameplay depending on which ending you are intending to get as well as some different weapons you can get throughout the game which change the gaming experience completely (e.g. you can get a weapon which shoots through walls). Heck, there even are side quests in this game!

Conclusion:
If you want to play a great freeware game download Cave Story now! It has everything a great game needs and is even better than some of the games you get to buy nowadays.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/20/07

Game Release: Doukutsu Monogatari (JP, 12/20/04)