Review by bambi300

"Put Metroid and Mario together. Then, put everything else you've wanted in a game, and you've got Cave Story!"

Cave Story is an amazing computer game with some elements of Nintendo games Metroid and Mario. It's completely free to download so I recommend playing it!

Gameplay - 10/10

Gameplay controls are very simple. 'Z' to jump, 'X' to fire your weapon, 'A' and 'S' to switch weapons, 'Q' to open your inventory, and arrow keys to move around, there's nothing to get, really. Movement is also really smooth.

On your journey, you'll see monsters, all differing in hit points and damage to you. Shoot them to eliminate them, and they'll either drop ammo, hit points, or weapon exp. Weapon exp. raises your weapon exp, and when it levels up, it will become stronger. There are a max of three weapon levels.

You'll explore many towns and places, with many NPCs to talk to.

It's all very organized.

Sounds / music - 9001/10

If I could rate that high, I'd totally do it. The music is awesome, very nice to listen to, fits the mood, and it's very hum-able!

Graphics - 8/10

The graphics aren't top notch, they're all pixel-y, BUT! it was MEANT to be that way. Other than the overview, the people, monsters, and landscape are still very detailed.

Story - 9/10

The story starts out with the main character waking up in a cave and he doesn't remember anything. It then continues on to where you go into a town full of little bunny rabbit monsters. Soon after you drop in, you'll find out that one of the-- wait, I'm giving too much away, play it yourself! :) The story is very compelling and insteresting.

Difficulty - Seven out of ten. (9/10)

Er, what I mean there, is that the difficulty is like seven stars out of ten. The actual rating for, like, the monsters and difficulty placement is nine out of ten.

Monsters and boss fights won't be too difficult in the first half, but after that, it'll start getting pretty hard. :]

Replayability - 10/10

Wow, with three different endings and three weapons that you can only get in one run of the game, replayability is at it's HIGHEST. You can also take on a challenge, such as taking no unneccessary (spelling check please) items or health tanks on the way to the end.

Overall - 10/10

Cave Story is amazing. Gameplay rocks, the music is AWESOME, graphics are nice, story is interesting, difficulty is challenging, and there are tons of things you can do another time around! And the best part of all, IT'S FREE! I recommend downloading this in your spare time, it's almost perfect. The only flaw I see, and I think it's very minor, is that it's too short.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/04/09, Updated 05/05/09

Game Release: Doukutsu Monogatari (JP, 12/20/04)