Review by sam3610

"An Amazing Expirience."

I'm sure we have all played a rhythm game, and thought how awesome it would be to use your own music in the game. Some people have found ways of doing this in most rhythm games, but it requires a degree of skill, and you'll probably have to mod your own console. After you go through that, and try and make a note chart, you will realize that it's not easy.

Audiosurf makes the chart FOR you. Actually chart is the wrong word, race track is more accurate, but you aren't racing. After you pick the song you want to play the game will analyze it, and make a race track of sorts. Hills are based on beats, and speed is generally based on the intensity of the song. The game also generates blocks. You must form clusters of 3 with said blocks and score points. They also have to be the same color, and the more blocks in your cluster, the better. The color of the blocks depends on the intensity. Cool colors are less intense, and hot colors are very intense. The hotter the color, the more points. Mono characters have only color, and have to dodge grey blocks. It's not as easy as it sounds, but it can be rewarding if you have no leftover blocks at the end and dodged all the grey blocks. Also, some songs have a corkscrew in very intense parts.

The game runs remarkably smooth on my outdated computer, and it looks pretty damn good. The loading of a song takes barely any time. For example, it took maybe 2 minutes to load a 20 minutes song for me.

Audiosurf also has a competitive side to it, as well. For every song you play, there is a leaderboard(or one will be created automatically). Obviously you can compete for highscores, and if you are 1st and get dethroned, you will get an email saying so.

Audiosurf is the first game on Steam to use Steam Achievements. So you can present yourself with a challenge by dodging all the grey blocks on an 11+ minute song on Ninja Mono.

Overall this game is almost perfect. My only complaints is the max song length of 25 minutes(but that's a technical issue), and an occasional crash. This game also tends to use alot of system resources on my computer(which may be a non-issue to you rich people).

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/19/08

Game Release: AudioSurf (US, 02/15/08)