Review by white_zombie2

"Pretty Colors, any song I want, and only $10? How can I lose?"

This is a game I came across by accident. I'd only just downloaded Steam, and was looking for one particular game when I saw this. I took a look, saw that it was cheap, and it sounded interesting, so I decided that I'd take a chance. Worst case scenario: I'd be down $10.

What I found was an addictive and colorful game that I'm thinking I'd pay a lot more that just $10 for. Audiosurf is a basic game: control a car traveling down a colorful highway, making shapes on the bottom to get points. It combines the challenge of a puzzle game with the fun of a rhythm game. And both parts don't disappoint.

In the puzzle aspect, there are many levels of difficulty. From the basic mono to the expert Eraser and Pointman selections, you're sure to find a skill level that's both challenging and fun. Each character has different abilities, from shuffling the board, to collecting blocks for use later, it all depends on how you want to play. There are power ups to make it easier to arrange the blocks into lots of points, and sometimes you have to decide between getting a power up or a high-scoring block. But it's the rhythm part that is the best. Pick a song. Any one, whether it be on a CD, m4a, mp3, wma, anything. Well, you can play it. Slow paced songs, classical music, heavy metal, anything is possible. The track will be made especially for that song. The highway changes to the tune of the song: fast songs have crazy downhills while slow songs have gentle uphills. Heavy drum beats can make any ride a bumpy ride, and if you play electronic songs, be prepared for a wave of blocks to choose from (the Mortal Kombat theme comes to mind).

Graphics wise, I've only played the lowest setting due to having an old computer. But even this is pretty. The colours stand out, and I've found myself distracted by the colors more than once in a song. Sitting down at 1 in the morning with no lights makes them stand out even more, especially if you pick the black background. I've heard that the higher levels are even better than this, but I can't comment.

It's interesting to see what songs produce what kind of track, and the online scoreboard makes it that much more competitive. Sure, it might be something of a casual game, but for $10 you can't go wrong.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/17/08

Game Release: AudioSurf (US, 02/15/08)