"Ride randomly placed blocks"

Ride randomly placed blocks

Audiosurf is a $10 game, well that depends on your definition of game. The game engine will read your music files and makes levels from it, sounds amazingly wonderful, how could something like this fail? Sadly, it fails miserably.

Gameplay 1/10:
Gameplay revolves around moving your ship along a fast moving track with different colored blocks coming towards you. You can either fly into them or avoid them, building up the same colored block in one row or column you get points, similar to Tetris. The selling point of this game is the fact that the blocks are placed in time with certain beats or parts of the song. The speed you are travelling is also determined by the speed of the song. But sadly this is where it all fails, 99% of the time blocks are randomly placed and not in anyway in time with the music. I showed this game to a number of people and explained to them how it worked. They all said the same thing, the blocks aren't ever in sync with the music and they lost interest quite quickly. The only thing that worked was when the music changed considerably.

Graphics:
Nothing past Playstation/N64 era quality graphics, think of those dance games you get in the arcades, they are on the same level. The graphics pulse through multiple colors, tracks are quite varied with random objects and shapes but nothing very impressive. Gets dull very fast.

Sound 6/10:
The game comes with a few nice tracks, but apart from that there's no other sound. The block collecting and point scoring sounds like Genesis era, the same sounds are always repeated and there's no way to change them.

Story:
There is none.

Replayability 1/10:
Once you've played all your favourite songs and stopped kidding yourself that the blocks are actually in sync with the song, you will just prefer listening to the songs by themselves while doing anything else. Depending on how long it takes you to realise that will determine when you stop playing it. It took me a few weeks.

Overall 2/10
This game shouldn't have even been given a price tag, on the surface it looks amazing. Who wouldn't want to ‘ride' their music? But after playing it for a month you'll quickly come to realise what a failure and waste of time it really is. I wanted to ride my music, I tried, but all I got was a game was a pretty looking game that throws colored blocks at you in random order.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 12/08/08

Game Release: AudioSurf (US, 02/15/08)