Question from Axelander999

How to run Mass Effect on Windows 7 64 bit?

When I try to run the game, it crashes, gives me black-screen and tells me that the Program couldn't be runned or something like that? I don't if there something with my laptop, since I ran Dragon Age Origins perfectly.

No one can help you unless you are more specific about your computers specifications, such as CPU, video card, etc. I am running Windows 7 Professional x64 without a problem.

However, if the problem you have is as described, I believe your problem is with your video card. Mass Effect requires a video card that can process Shader Model 3, which older cards cannot do. I had this happen on my laptop when I tried to run it, it went to a black screen, then quickly displayed an error window indicating that the program could not run. If you tell me the exact error that occurs then I could confirm that for you. The only way to get around this problem is to buy a new video card, there are no software workarounds.

Update all drivers. I have this game running fine on my computer (Win 7 Pro x64), but I needed the most recent audio driver.

You may want to try different compatibility modes aswell. I have to run mine in 98/ME (!!).

Also check if you're running it in Administrator

Have you updated it to the latest version? Mine was unplayable when I switched to x64 until I updated the game.

For some time now, this game just wouldn't run even with all drivers updated, until a couple of days ago, while I had removed my sound card (xfi titanium), I tried to run it with the sound card of my motherboard and it worked.

I've also set compatibility to windows 2000, disabled uac, let windows install the latest driver available for my graphics card (Radeon HD 3870x2) on windows update instead of amd for maximum compatibility and used radeonpro to play with the settings available to increase compatibility.

I've since put back my discrete sound card but set through the configuration utility the integrated sound card as the game's sound device and it somehow worked without having to change default sound device from xfi to soundmax (my motherboard's card).

I'll probably start slowly reverting some of the compatibility measures and see if the issue was simply the sound card all along.

Btw, my CPU is a Phenom X4 9750.