Question from KalliChan_07

How do I keep all of my team / crew members alive? (*Spoilers*)

*I'm writing the quest to provide a solid answer for those that need help with keeping their crew members / team members alive at end game.

Please do not read this if you do not want to have any plot lines spoiled.*

*I had enough time to complete Legion's Loyalty mission -AFTER- recruiting him. I did not do his mission after my crew was taken.*

*LEGION ESCORTING CREW MEMBERS*

I replayed it through and chose to keep the collector base. The only way I could keep Mordin alive was to have him escort my crew members back. Even having Legion in the fire fight, and deciding to keep the collector base; he gets off unharmed. (He was Loyal)

There are alterations towards some of the teams, but if you want to be 100% on keeping everyone please follow this guide.

1.) Be prepared before you get Legion. Have -ALL- Normandy upgrades. Armor upgrade, Thanix gun upgrade (mineral scanner, extra fuel and extra probes do not count so far as I know)

- Edi will anounce shortly after you acquire Legion that the Reaper drive has been installed. (I had enough time to do Legion's loyalty mission.)

-So before you get the Reaper drive, make sure you've done -ALL- loyalty missions with your team. You must be high level paragon / renegade to keep some people loyal.

- Miranda and Jack will have a fight after Jack's loyality mission - must have high lvl paragon / renegade to keep them both. Same with Legion and Tali after Legion's mission.

2.) After the Collector's kidnap your crew go straight to the Omega Relay and start the suicide mission. Do not do any sidequests or travel - this will cause crew members to die for taking too much time.

3.) Team assignments. When choosing team assignments, make sure those members are loyal before assigning them to their specific jobs. These leaders and chosen members must be the best choice for those particular tasks or they will fall behind / die.

-Garrus or Miranda for Team leader 1.

-Legion or Tali for the Tech Specialist.

-Escourting crew members back:

- Send Legion to escort your crew if you decide to keep the collector base. I've read that if you do not send Legion to escort your crew members, the pulse will kill him.
(I've only chose Mordin or Thane so far, and they've both survived. You may have room to play around with this character. As in, if you do not have a loyal member, this may be a free card to save them. I have not tested that method yet as both Mordin and Thane were loyal.)

-Samara as Biotic escort through the swarms. (I've seen other posts using Jack and it being successful. I assume Morinth is also adequate with biotics. I have not tested Morinth yet.)

-Your team members to fight the last boss must be loyal to survive.

To survive the mission yourself, I'm not fully clear on the adequate steps to take. I've had my femshep fully leveled on her job and had Normandy upgrades and survived.

If anyone could post the absolute parameters to ensure your Shepard lives, please post.

I hope this helps, thank you for reading.

quote: Send Legion to escort your crew if you decide to keep the collector base. I've read that if you do not send Legion to escort your crew members, the pulse will kill him.

---Ok, what about the other team (During the time in which you must stay in the bubble)? I took samara, she and my team survived, but then when I open the door, the leader of the other team ALWAYS dies. I've tried the Zaeed, Grunt, and Samara.

SPOILER: well for me all of my crew survived including Shepard, but before trying this be sure all your party members are loyal, first when Normandy SR-2 survives the crash, and you must chose a tech specialist either Legion or Tali, they are the best choices, after that you must chose someone to escort your crew, well chose Mordin because when you finish the game, his body will be lying when the Collectors are coming for you after the final battle. second chose Samara as your biotic shielder from the swarms and chose Miranda to keep the collectors busy and she will be successful because i've tried Jack, Grunt, Thane, Garrus and they all Died, and for the final Battle chose anyone you like as long as they are loyal, and chose either keep the Collector base or not, all your squad members will survive, can't wait for the Final Chapter, Mass Effect 3... ^_^

You have to choose the correct leader for the second team. Garrus or Miranda, and they must be loyal.

*KEEPING YOUR SHEPARD ALIVE*

To keep your Shepard alive after he/she jumps to the Normandy, you must have had one of your teammates survive the final boss fight.

You need one of these members alive to help pull you on board since Joker is too physically weak to do so.

i don't think it has to be as complicated as previous answers, though the first answer was accurate. You do need loyal members, and you do need ship upgrades, but as far as choosing team members for the final mission, there are two points that the player needs to think about.
1) is the crew member loyal
2) is the crew member suited for the job

for instance, the door hacking should obviously be done by a tech (legion/tali) but i think they have to be loyal or they die regardless (haven't confirmed this yet). I've had jacob do the door hacking once and he was loyal, but he still died because he wasn't suited for the job.

For the diversion teams the leaders have to be loyal. Not sure if anyone will do (i just stuck with garrus all the way)

for the escort, the person basically need to be experienced in combat, and loyal (if you notice, the conversation before you make the choice will give you clues) I chose zaeed twice, he died the first time kuz he wasn't loyal, but survived the 2nd time because he was loyal.

-for instance, the door hacking should obviously be done by a tech (legion/tali) but i think they have to be loyal or they die regardless (haven't confirmed this yet). I've had jacob do the door hacking once and he was loyal, but he still died because he wasn't suited for the job.

This largely depends on the leader of the second group. I don't know if the loyalty is a must, but if you don't choose Garrus or Miranda the second team will fall behind and not provide the proper cover for your tech. Thus, they eat a bullet to the face.

i had every1 loyal but miranda (even w/ near max paragon could not stop the chick fight w/ good will for all) i did this as a good soldier i used samara as team leader 1 and legion as tech (legion did not make it -head shot as door near closed and yes loyal- ) then sent jack bak 2 the ship and samara again as bubble person 2 get past the swarm zaaide (or w/e) as team leader 2 (he to did not make it -shields did not hold took shot 2 the gut and bled out- ) had morgin solus and tali nas normandy w/ me the whole time and they lives and i made the place go boom and every1 but the 2 lived, guess loyal ppl can die and when legion and tali got into there fight unlike miranda&jack i had the skill 2 keep both happy (even though only thing between M&J fight and L&T fight was IFF and L's loyal quests) (BTW only times i could not do the "blu" good speak was wen i did not hav my deth helm like i said few times the M&J fight and the samara loyal quests when the ardat-yakshi tryed the mind controle you B4 samara comes in 2 kill her)

The pulse doesn't necesarilly kill Legion if you keep the base. I made the following decisions, and had everyone survive. All characters were fully loyal:
Section 1-
Team Leader 1: Garrus
Tech Specialist: Tali
Personal Team: Grunt & Legion

Section 2-
Escort: Thane
Team Leader 2: Miranda
Biotic Shielder: Samara
Personal Team: Legion & Grunt

Section 3-
Personal Team: Legion & Grunt

So i chose to keep the base, and everything went fine, with pretty much a mad sprint at the end avoiding most of the enemies.

Corresponding to the Post Above this Combo Does Work - I however had All the Upgrades for the ship and all my Crew was Loyal. I sought this forum cause my first time around I chose Legion to go through the vents as my Tech, And Samara to Lead the 1st Strike team. But Unfortunately Legion Wasn't as Capable to close the door on time and Got His dome Popped. My second choices where - Garrus to Escort and Thane to Lead the 2nd strike team, and Samara for the Barrier. Don't think you can save Kelly though; cause you still receive the Achievement without her alive! Thane Didn't make it as well.And Last I think it doesn't matter whoever As Long as there Loyal! Both My First Time Around and the Team Advised above ( prior post) Made it out Alive .O yeah I didn't Die either at the end Niether times. But Like I said if you Have a Loyal Crew and All the Ups - The Combo In the Prior Post Is a Bingo!

I think "luck" counts here too...cause even if you do everything right, the doc can still die(if he's not the escort).

I used Miranda to lead the second diversion "hold the door" team and she was NOT loyal at the time. She and everyone still survived.

The answers thus far are pretty comprehensive, especially Kalli_Chan07 explanation. After several playthroughs I haven't deviated from this structure, and I've never lost anyone, even on Insanity. Some stipulations I've heard about, but haven't tested at all, are having "evolved" abilities and following through with conversations after loyalty missions/after miranda v. jack and legion v. tali. So after ensuring loyalty, maxing their abilities, and talking with everyone after every mission, I take on the suicide mission. Legion/Tali as techs, Garrus for squad leader (both times) and whomever for escort, jack for biotics (she has the L5x upgrade). My team every time is samara/miranda. I've never lost Mordin (he has his tech tool upgrade). I've also heard that, especially on insanity, time might be a factor, so taking to long to fight through a certain area will cause someone to die, whether its yur specialists or someone on team 2. Again, something I can't confirm, but I'm yet to lose someone.

If you want your team alive, then:
1. Do loyalty mission.
2. Upgrade your ship.
3. When your crew is abducted, immediately go to Omega 4 Relay.
4. For the vent, choose Tali or Legion, and pick either Miranda, Garrus or Jacob for squad leader.
5. For escort, choose Mordin.
6. For Biotic, choose Jack or Samara/Morinth. And for squad leader pick Miranda, Garrus or Jacob.
7. Final : Pick any team you like, except Grunt, Garrus or Zaeed. (You can pick them, but your team sometime will die. As for me, I pick Miranda and Garrus, and the team still alive though.)

Completely agree with symlink69 and kalli_chan07. but i have something a little more detailed thanks to the latest game informer magazine

to save everyone, heres the steps u need
on the approach
armor check: yes=safe no= death of jack
sheild check: yes=safe no=death of squad member starting with top of list kasumi, legion, tali, thane, ill stop there
cuase u should have atleast one of these
weapons check: yes=safe no= death of squad member in order thane, garrus,zaeed.....stopping there
in vent: tali, legion, or kasumi. MUST BE LOYAL
2nd team: miranda, jacob, or garrus MUST BE LOYAL.
if both selected r loyal here, vent specialist lives. if either one isn't vent tech dies
for the crew, between the opening of the omega-4 relay and going thru it, if u did absolutly ZERO missons, crew will live when u get em out of the pods. 1-3, half dies, any more, only Dr.Chakwas lives
biotic specialist: jack, samara or morinth MUST BE LOYAL if not, random member in ur party will die
leads 2nd team: miranda, jacob, garrus MUST BE LOYAL if not, team leader dies
escort: if not sent, crew dies. if sent and not loyal, escort dies, crew lives. if loyal, both live
final fight: loyal live, nonloyal die
for YOU to live: of all recruited members, if 2 or more are still alive, you live, if not, well, you're dead.
notes for hold the line striaght from the magazine: less combat oriented(or unstable I.E. jack, mordin) have a high chance of dying or putting other members there at risk - especially if they are not loyal. Battle hardened soldiers like Grunt or Zaeed can actually save the lives of others holding the line. these factors determine how many party members are killed during this. Non-loyal squad members will fall first, followed by loyal ones according to this order: mordin, tali, kasumi, jack, miranda, jacob, garrus, samara/morinth, legion, zaeed, grunt.
a good strat to keep the most ppl alive while holding the line, is to bring the least combat-focused with you to the final fight. it may make the fight harder for you, but if they are loyal, they are guaranteed to live

whew. done. really hope this helps

Ok. I have all squad members loyal, except for Jack. I wasn't good enough (paragon) to keep both loyal, but I wanted to pursue the relationship with Mirdanda so I kept her loyal. Is there any way to keep all members alive even though Jack aint loyal. The way I played it is: 1) Tali to go through pipes. 2) Garrus team lead. 3) Mordin escort crew back. 4) Garrus lead again. 5) Samara biotic specialist, and I take Miranda and Jack with me. Then the final squad to take down the baby reaper, I took Garrus and Jack, Garrus survived however Jack died. Can someone please tell me how to keep Jack alive even though she aint loyal. Thanks very much.

Ok, never mind. I just left Jack to guard the door. All survived. Thanks anyway.

Most important is that ALL of your crew are loyal. Anyone not loyal will most likely die. This means that before you do the Reaper IFF mission, you have to finish all loyalty missions and do Legion's loyalty mission after recruiting him.

The next is that all upgrades for the Normandy needs to be researched (except the Mineral Scanner, Fuel Boost and Med Bay). Not doing so will result in a random crew member to die for every research not done.

Lastly, after the Normandy crew gets kidnapped, immediately go to the Omega 4 relay. I think you have a leeway of 1 or 2 landings before some of the crew members gets killed by Collectors.

If you did all of the above, death of crew members will only result from bad decisions during the Suicide Mission, all totally avoidable if you make the right choices.

*tried all choices and they work as long as you have their loyalty*

In the first set of choices, you need a Tech Specialist. Kasumi, Tali and Legion will work here.
Next would be the 2nd Fire Team Leader. Miranda and Garrus will work. I think Jacob would work also but I haven't tried it yet. Failure here would result in the death of the 2nd Fire Team Leader to be shot in the head with a rocket.

Next mission would be against the Seeker Swarm. Jack and Morinth/Samara will work. Failure here would result in a crew member in your running team to be taken by the Seeker Swarm.
You'll also be asked to have a 2nd Team as decoy. Miranda is the only one I've tried for this one and she works. Probably Garrus and Jacob would work, too. Failure would result in the Team Leader taking too many fatal hits.
There's also a choice to have an escort for the remaining Normandy crew. If you're not gonna use Mordin in the final fight, choose him since if there would be someone who'll die in the next mission, he'll be the first to go.

Last decision would be your team. Pick any two loyal members. Anyone who isn't chosen will hold the line. Defensive characters would be the best here. The first ones who'll go depending on the loyalty and defensive value would be Mordin, Jack and Tali. If you can, try not to take Grunt, Zaeed and Garrus. If your defensive value is too low, your rear guard will be overrun and some, if not all will be killed. If the teammates you bring with you are not loyal, they will be killed when you all fall.

Lastly, if Shepard is the only one who survives the mission, the Normandy will come to pick Shapard up. On the Portside of the Normandy, Joker will be waiting with an Avenger Assault Rifle. With no one else at Joker's side since all your teammates are dead; when Shepard jumps, Joker will try to pull him up but will fail due to his sickness, resulting to Shepard's death.

The End

Well I comletely upgraded my ship and everyone survived that. I then piched Tali 2 go through the vents and do the tech stuff.I then picked Miranda as the commander for the second team( all my members were loyal). I then picked Samara to make the biotic field and made Jacob take all the crew back safely and they all made it( I chose Miranda as the commander of the second squad each time). Finally I brought Tali and Legion with me for the final mission. Everyone survived the mission, including Shepard, and that was the very first time I played the game. I hope this helped :D

I complete all minings and recruitments as well as their loyalty missions before the IFF retrieval. I used Legion as hacker in 1st task, Garrus as 2nd squad leader then Samara as Biotic Field Projectionist, Miranda as 2nd Diversion team. I chose Legion and Zaeed as final team members (you should choose them if your renegade coz they will agree with illusive man to use collector base)

1. All squad members loyal.
2. All ship upgrades.
3. Tech Specialist = Legion or Tali
4. Fire-team leader must be either Garrus, Jacob or Miranda or the tech specialist WILL die.
5. Biotic specialist = Jack or Samara. Anyone else will die along with a member of your squad.
6. Second fire-team leader must be Garrus, Jacob or Miranda again.
7. Escort = Mordin as he is most likely to die otherwise.
8. Your squad for the final part should be Tali and Jack bacause after Mordin they are most likely to die if left to hold the line.

This should ensure everyone survives.