Question from dieselpitbull

how do you use the Vault 13 canteen?

I got the classic pack and have started the game but can't figure out how to use the vault 13 canteen. I cant hot key it or use it in anyway even when I am dehydrating. Do you have to fill it first? What am I doing wrong?

JeffLam answered:

According to the Fallout wiki, it is an automatic hydration source.
"There is no way to deliberately force a drink from the canteen. It only works as an automatic hydration source.

There is no player animation associated with drinking from the canteen; the screen notice and H2O meter drop are the only indications it is working. "
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_13_canteen
5 0

Answers

itachitildeath answered:

I have the same item and it automatically does it for me. It should say "you take a sip from your handy vault 13 canteen" in the upper left hand corner every once and a while
1 2

jlado answered:

Honestly, mine pops up automatically that "You take a sip from your trusty Vault 13 flask"
3 1

nteger answered:

I think the canteen is only supposed to mitigate your need for water, not satisfy it completely. Outside of hardcore mode, I don't think it does anything.
0 0

Krimin answered:

It simply heals you every once in a while. It's automatic. It doesn't run out so you can pretty much forget about it for the rest of the game. It only heals you a little tiny bit, but it helps.
0 0

IcyNeko answered:

Yeah, it handles hydration for you as long as you have it on you. And it's RAD free!
0 0

lordofzwergs answered:

It's a throwback to the old Fallout games. In Fallout 1 it would prevent certain random events, and in Fallout 2 it basically kick starts the main story line. In New Vegas, as everyone has said, it's an automatic hydration source. It's based on a hydration level cap, which will lower automatically. However, in cases such as fast travel, waiting, etc. it often skips right over this and will dehydrate you anyway. Good to have around, saves weight to not have to carry around as much water, but if you don't play on hardcore it's not really important.
0 0