Question from fearless_brute

Why does left 4 dead 2 lag so much on my PC???

Hi guys,
here are my specs:

Intel core 2 duo 2.53Ghz
3GB RAM
Nvidia 9800GT
512MB video adapter ram

The problem is that when I first ran the game, I used recommended video settings, but the game would run at 30-50 fps.So I just lowered the settings a bit but still the game would not run without lag. After that I used the lowest settings with 1024x768 resolution. The game now runs at 50-100 but when there are a lot of zombies (especially the final level of a campaign) the fps again drops down to 30. I pass the recommended specs but even on the lowest settings the fps drops down to 30? there has to be a problem ,right?
Also, when on the concert lvl of dark carnival, the game lags a lot when the I look at the stage from a high altitude.

This problem is driving me crazy because I really want to play the game.I have the latest drivers installed. If anyone has a suggestion then please tell me.

Um... at 30 FPS do you actually notice any lag or do you just think 30 FPS is low?

Well the problem is a person can tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, but beyond 60fps like going from 100 to 60 it's nearly impossible to tell.

I have heard of problems with the Nvidia drivers and such which is currently being worked on. The only thing I can offer up as advice is to turn off multi-core rendering and possibly do custom settings for your game. If you have already done the turn off multi-core rendering and done custom texture, lighting, AA/MSAA, Anistropic, and such then i've got no clue. Might try the steam technical forums to see if you get a response.

Mine runs between 15~50 with similar stats (but it's a laptop). It annoyed be at first but I got used to it. The only advise I can offer is set everything really really low and see how it goes, I use 700xsomething resolution. Also if it still annoying you, the flashlight takes down the FPS, one mine by 10, so try to use it less. Amana09 said there might be a driver problem so you might have to tough it out a little bit.

I think its because of too much action cause mine lags and even my l4d1 lags

This way may solve your problem.
1.Turn off background program in your PC,Anti-Virus,etc.(Turn on if its necessary only).Turn off any program when you run l4d2 will prevents lag.
2.Defrag your PC
3.If you have lot of programs,or heavy games,try to uninstall it.Keep play game that you need.
4.Run l4d2 on low resolution,or decrease your monitor resolution.Or on medium/low shader.Your VGA is good enough.High defenition is ok.But keep your resolution.
5.Clean your PC from unecessary files,temprorary files,or anything.
6.And i suggest to use Windows 7 as your operating system.Its faster than Xp or vista.

keep trying!,

I think it is your internet connection

I had a nearly identical system to yours and I can run L4D2 with max graphics 1920x1080 resolution and no anti-aliasing at 60+ FPS. What OS are you using though?

Well an Nvidia9800GT isn't that good of a graphics card to start, I just had one, and when I ran the game it was around 20-30 fps. But I later replaced it with an ATI Radeon 4890HD and it runs at a steady 100-110

^Uh what? WIth a 9800gt, I can max out the game at 1440x900 with no problems at all. Hell, I keep it at vertical sync to prevent tearing.

I see you use Nvidia.

I have a trick to increase your FPS. Turn off the vertical sync from Nvidia control panel.

First, right click on your dekstop. Then choose "Nvidia Control Panel"
Change the settings to "Advanced Settings".
Then choose "Manage 3D Settings".
In "Global Settings", find "Vertical Sync". Change the setting to "Force off"
Finally, click "Apply".

Done, now it should run perfectly.

9800gt and your running 20-30? WTF, I have a 9400gt and It runs 60-70 on medium settings (high shader though) for me.

It's most likely how the game renders all the zombies coming at you at once and at the same time trying to process all the blood and body parts flying off in your face. Those will always make things a tad sluggish.

What other kind of Specs are you using that are required for the game to work?

Disabling multicore , lowing all shader, effect, and model/ texture maybe fix the problem.

My system is slightly better specced than this, but is a laptop, and it was running choppy for me, so I lowered the settings, it got worse, so, I'm not sure why, I thought 'meh, let's see what happens when I turn everything to max' and now it runs as smooth as anything and looks pretty good too.
This may not work for you, but it may, so give it a go.

I don't know if this can solve ur problem or not.....try go to advance setting and disable anti aliasing mode