Review by xicidis

"Day One Impressions"

Wednesday morning I get up early, can't sleep, can't wait. Get in the car and head straight to Gamestop. I bring the game home and pop in the disk. I picked up FFXI on release day and waits 10 hours installing updates and the game. I was prepared this time.

Installing, updating, and getting into the game: 8

It installed in half an hour. I was floored. I got the first update fast. I was on the second update, the notorious 2010-9-19 patch. It took so long, I went online and found how to download the patch. Luckily it downloaded quickly, installed and was up and running. They need to fix the patcher, but on day one, it took less than 2 hours. Not too bad.

Graphics: 9

If you haven't already heard, the graphics are AMAZING! There are some strange shadow glitches every once in a while, but it is the top of the line as far as MMO's are concerned. There are tons fo character creation items as well, so it's a lot harder to find a clone of you than it is in wow.

Story: 6(10)

I have 2 numbers there because the quests I've been on are great. They draw you in and make you feel immersed. The problem is I haven't found even 10 quests. So that cuts it down a lot until they add in more story quests.

Audio: 8

I wanted so badly to give it a 10. The music is everything I've come to love from the final fantasy series. The music is great, but the voices can get a little annoying. Although it loses a point in ambiance. You can't turn down the ambient noise. You have to have windows turn off all audio from the game to get rid of it.

Controls: 7

With a keyboard, or with a gamepad, the controls are mostly very tight. There is still lag when talking to merchants while they load. That is very annoying. The menus are faster, and the battles don't lag anymore either. It's a little difficult to change targets while fighting more than one monster at a time.

Glitches and Lag: 7

I haven't experienced hardly and lag at all, but there are some glitches where you engage a monster and it won't let you hit it for a while. It seems like it fixes itself after a while though. Not too bad, but not fantastic either.

Instructions: 5

The instruction manual and the in game tutorials are vary bare. They teach you the VERY basics. They don't really help you learn how to craft, or what your attributes are for. It's a tough game if you're going at it alone. You will be using websites with forums and recipe lists for a long time, so get used to it.

Overall:

If you liked FFXI, it's very similar with a lot of updates. If you hated the slowness and grind of FFXI, it's gotten better. If you're coming from WoW, you will have to work a lot harder than you're used to. No !'s over people's heads to tell you where to go, and no quest helper. If you have only played console Final Fantasy's then this is a big leap, but you may enjoy it. If this is your first MMO, get a friend or two to play with you, or it's not going to be as fun as it could be.

It's a good game, and for an MMO on release day, they did a good job. The servers didn't crash, and the lag wasn't terrible. I would recommend this to anyone that likes MMOs because it will only get better from here.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/24/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy XIV Online (Collector's Edition) (US, 09/22/10)