Review by CaptainScrubby

"The Dissapointing Truth from a Fan"

I wanted to love this game, I really did. Fans have an unfortunate tendency to disregard criticism and defend bad games, I may be guilty of that myself at times, but us fans deserve better than what the Witcher 2 has to offer us.

Short and Bitter I'll go over why.

First the Graphics, 5 out of 10. Why? All that this game demands of your computer and graphics card is unjustifiable when Geralts hair is like a helmet on his head that clips through his collar when he looks to the side. The game is full of static 2d textures that are, honestly, appalling to look at. Bloom and shadowing are over used at times, and clipping issues are rife throughout the game. For a game with such graphical demands you'd think they'd pay attention to things like main characters weapons clipping through the walls during cut scenes, but this is the sort of thing you can expect throughout the game.

Sound gets a 5 out of 10 as well. Why? Because the sound is pretty standard, but the voice volume is unmodifiable, actors sometimes get drowned out by background noise and music (which you'll likely have to turn low) and you get stuck reading what people say a lot more than you should, Geralt apparently has no problem perfectly understanding them though. If you want to enjoy your surround sound with this game you may be disappointed, the game seems to be poorly optimized for it.

Controls get a 4 out of 10, why? Because honestly, they're horrible. The combat is clunky, Geralt has a tendency to overstep objects, and looting and inventory are a mess. If you want to use a gamepad it's even worse, the game is poorly optimized for one. To top it all off, the game is full of quick time events, and during dialogue you often have a limited amount of time to choose your dialogue option, so unless you're a lightning fast reader a lot of the time you aren't even going to know what your options are, much less have time to consider them. It's not helped by the fact that first time players won't know when these dialogue choices will occur, meaning you more than likely won't be ready for a lot of them.

Story gets an 8 out of 10, it's one of the few redeeming qualities this game has, and Witcher Fans will appreciate it. The story also ties into the previous game decisions, and cinematic are shown in stylized comic book style, they're generally enjoyable to watch and worth looking up if you don't intend to play the game.

Replay Value gets a 6 out of 10, why? Because the story provides incentive to replay, if you can suffer the clipping objects, 2d textures, quick time events, and timed responses for a second play through.

Generally my take on it is that fans of The Witcher deserve a whole lot better than this game, and as a fan I won't be defending it, but will join in the criticism on this one.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/12

Game Release: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (US, 05/17/11)