Review by Game-Freak_Boy

"Teleportation, Cubes and British Robots - What's not to love?"

Ah, Valve. You are certainly a very special kind of game developer. I have yet to see a game that has been below par from Valve. You don't have to push release dates to please gamers. In fact, the ARG leading up to this game still made it release on the same day. Valve's games have been and always will be excellent. This game does not stray away from Valve's content standard. Let me break it down for you.

Plot

The game, like most Valve games, relies on plot to drive the game forwards. Maybe not as much as Half Life, but it still utilizes Valve's excellent writers to their full potential. The in-game discussions between the characters are funny, engaging and don't interrupt the gameplay too much. There are a couple of moments where control is taken away, but you still see through the eyes of the main character, Chell.

Sound

The sound is impeccable, and is very fluid. With actors such as Stephen Merchant as Wheatley, you get colourful voices from people who are known for their voice, personality and sense of humour. The sound effects match the world perfectly, and I did not notice any sound to visual lag at all.

Gameplay

The Portal Gun is back, and at full force. It works just as good, if not better, than it did in Portal one. The possibilities they give you with it this time are amazing, and work without a hitch. A few of the puzzle may take a while for people to solve, and the difficulty is certainly much higher than in Portal 1.

Overall

The game is very fun, and is much longer than Portal 1. It feels more complete as a game, with it's fleshed out plot and excellent plot and pacing. All of the familiar characters are back, and a couple of others are added without having to sacrifice anything. The voices are very good and all of the characters speak their lines clearly and amazingly. The humour is there, and it very present.

TL;DR?

The Good: Great story, pacing, gameplay, characters, sound and humour.
The Bad: The challenge is ramped up and some may say that Wheatley can get annoying.
The Ugly: Some may say the micro transactions store is unnecessary, even though it's optional.

It's a great game and well worth the money. I hope you enjoyed this review and I hope you enjoy the game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/22/11

Game Release: Portal 2 (US, 04/19/11)