Question from Soul_analyzer

Do I need to play Mass Effect 1 and 2 to unsterstand the plot or the whole story is different?

If I havent play the first ans second Mass Effect will I have problems understanding the story/plot of the game? is the game continious from the second game?

From: scionert 3 years ago

The story is continuous. ME2 is 3 years after ME1 and ME3 is 6(?) months after ME2.
There are a lot of alien race, each with it's own back story.

The plot is simple enough but you might not appreciate some of the emotions in the game.
Some players who have played ME1 and ME2 have somewhat (in some form or another) become emotionally attached to the characters and races (cheesy, i know).

In conclusion, it is playable as is (with some background reading on ME1 and ME2 from the web).
But you might not appreciate it as much as those who have played all.

I hope that helps.

i forgot to mention...

The story is continuous, but it's not like ME1 and ME2 are a big cliff hanger. Both games have a full plot and proper ending.

Also, some decisions you can make in ME3 will not be available unless you you import ME2 saves. I have played ME2 but no longer have the saves. It really sucks and it's put me off continuing the game ....disgusted by EA's marketing ploy! Maybe there will be a cheat coming out soon that will have all the choices available.
In any case as scionert has already said, without playing the others first (maybe just the ME2) it's not as emotional or rather as satisfying BUT in the menu of ME3, it gives you a decent run down of who's who etc. It's ame as watching a film really where you can care about certain characters.
Damn you EA.

if you dont have the saves you can make some with masseffectsaves.com.

and yes, you miss some stuff if you dont use an imported game from me2 or me1, plus the defaults when starting a new, non-important game of ME3 are just horrible, almost a worst-case rush through renegade scenario.
having made friends in ME1 and 2 really pays off in ME3.