Review by loklover

"Very dark, a reign of terror from the vampire's perspective"

One day many moons ago I was at a friends house and we played his ps. He showed me a game that looked violent and bloody enough, so we played it. I instantly fell in love with it and knew I must get my own copy. It starts off with an arrogant young nobleman named Kain, from distant Coorhagen in a bar, trying to get some booze. The bartender boots him out and he gets attacked by brigands. After a bunch of mucking around with some creepy necromancer Kain wakes up a mausoleum as a vampire, and so a long and intracite story unfolds.

The gameplay is simple enough, but the long loadtime's required to switch weapons or spells can be annoying. Most of Kain's weapons are by far too slow, but that's made up for by many fiendish spells to unloose on your enemy. Kain is often bounced around by enemies' blows, which at first glance seems like a nice touch of realism, but can become so annoying you want to rip someone's head off. The button layout is very good and well thought out, and after five minutes of play you won't even need to glance at the instruction manual. But that was on playstation. On playstation 2 the load times go by quicker and are less frusterating, which makes me glad im a ps2 man.

Features:10/10
Blood Omen features lots of spells, some of which do essentially the same thing but are stronger than the last, while others do more exotic things such as slow time. There are about five different weapons, each with its own pros and cons, such as to slow, not strong, or very strong, or very fast. Some weapons work better than others on certain enemies, like the mace is your best friend when surrounded by human guards, but hardly even draws blood from underworld creatures. There are about five forms Kain can assume, wolf, bat, mist, regualar shmoe, and vampire. Each has its own pros and cons, the features and combinations of weapons and armour are endless.

The story is definitly the best part of the game. It is well thought out, just enough twists and turns to keep you thinking, but not so many that you get confused. The story is told through cut scenes and voice acting during gameplay.

The music is very good, it sets the mood well and sends chills down your spine. The voice acting is excellent, all the characters have good voices that express the game well, with the exception of the women who sound like old ladies, except Ariel, who has a very good actor. Kain's voice is excellents and is consistent with the game, deep, smooth, and with a hint of an english evil genius. However, the prisoners on the walls pleading does get increasingly annoying, making you want to shut the sound off entirlely when in a dungeon.

2d, but not flat. The environment is textured and gothic, adding to the dark feel to the game. But Kain himself is pixelly and not very well done. All closeups of Kain make him look like a cat.

All in all, it was an excellent game, I strongly suggest buying it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/14/02, Updated 10/14/02