Review by wolverinefan

"Fans might be let down but a solid sequel"

For me the Bloody Roar series is right up there with Guilty Gear. I love them both for different reasons. I must admit I've only played the first two Bloody Roar games and this is a review of the second one. Is it as good as the first one or no?

Strangely enough the Bloody Roar series has an interesting plot. There is a group of altered gene people who can turn into beasts. Think of them as being split into good and bad sides. Some are good and some are bad. The story lines are all connected and while they give some background information on the characters it isn't a whole lot. The way the plot works though is nice and each encounter in story mode is auto set for your characters story.

The graphics are actually pretty good for a game of its age. The characters still look nice and aren't all that jaggy. Animations are smooth and the beast forms look really good as well, if not a bit jaggier than the human forms. The only downside is that the boxed in stages are a bit bland and uninspired.

The sound in the game is entertaining. No voice work besides the announcer who just has a really cool voice. The music has a little rock flavor going on and fits the mood well. I really dig the music. The sounds are alright but nothing special.

Control in the game is very smooth and easy to get the hang of. I found it very easy to pull off simple yet cool looking combos and slightly harder to do the really cool ones. That's how a fighting game should be.

Fighting games during the PS1 time were lacking in features but this game offers Arcade mode, Story mode, VS mode and custom mode. Not a whole lot but it all works. My main focus was Story mode.

Arcade mode is pretty basic in idea. If you've ever played a fighting game then you know how it works. Story mode puts some plot in between fights and has a preset enemy roster. The game offers 4 returning characters and 7 new ones. This is my biggest disappointment in the game. I'm all for new characters but it really sucks that only 4 return and while those four are great, I miss the other characters.

What I really like about this series is that you can turn into your beast form right away or hold on to it. It creates a sort of strategy to the matter since Beast forms are stronger but when you get hurt in beast form your beast energy meter goes down and when it hits zero you run otu of beast form. It returns with hits you deliver though. It works well and I really dig the beast designs.

The game itself is pretty short. I think 7 battles per character but what I like are the options. You can change the timer, difficulty and strength of the hits. The customization is really nice in this game and there is art work and endings to unlock as well.

Bloody Roar 2 is a solid fighting game in its own merit but the problem lies in the returning cast. Fans may be let down by the cast but new comers will really enjoy the game. It's not overly deep or anything but it's a fast fighting game and I like speed in my fighting games.

Story - 8/10