Review by Valour

"Chrono-Cross finally hits the US but does it live up to Chrono-Trigger?"

I waited patiently for about 7 months for the US version to be released so that I could fully review the game (including its translation).

For those of you that aren't aware, this is a sequel to the 1995 SNES game titled Chrono-Trigger. So why not call it ''Chrono-Trigger 2?'' The answer lies within the story.

The first game dealt with ''time travel'' and this game deals with ''cross-dimensional travel''. In Chrono-Trigger you traveled through different time-periods with different characters; in Chrono-Cross you are in one time-period with different characters but deal with different dimensions.

Notes about the staff: this is basically their third game, Chrono-Trigger being their first and Xenogears being their second. But just like Chrono-Trigger, some of the Final Fantasy staff were involved with this sequel…they made the CG Movies/FMV for this game.

The battle system in CC is a mix between the staff’s two hit games: Chrono-Trigger and their second smash hit Xenogears. It's hard to say which it is more like because it is a mix of both games. Some may find it easy and others may find it a bit complex, but personally I didn't have a problem with it.

Story:9/10

This is a bit difficult to rate considering the ''story'' is what you the player make of it; you shape the story and discover many, many characters and get many, many different endings and outcomes of the game, just like its predecessor.

Quality of Final Fantasy VIII, it pushes the PSX 32 Bit graphics to its limit! You will not be disappointed in the graphics department, as long as you keep in mind it is a 32 bit game for PSX and an RPG.

Music and Sound: 7/10

I thought Yasunori Mitsuda did a fantastic job with the Chrono-Trigger and Xenogears soundtracks, but this game it is not his best work. It has some old favorite songs from the first game, but most of it leaves more to be desired. It is not awful, don't get me wrong…just not as good as his past works.

Replay Value: 10/10

You can't get more replay value than CC! You can get up to about 48 different playable characters and find many different endings, just like the original game but many more and with slightly different outcomes. After you beat the game, just as with the original, you get the ''New Game +'' that opens up tons of options!

English Translation: 10/10

As I expected, Square Electronic Arts L.L.C. did a fantastic job on the translation and localization of the game. Each character has his/her unique dialect just as in the Japanese version (this can be extremely painstaking to do!) but they did it! It falls in with Vagrant Story and other greatly translated and localized Squaresoft games.

A good game with great quality…but not as good as the original. Some sequels surpass their predecessor, but, in my book, Chrono-Cross doesn't quite make it.

(+) A well-rounded RPG with the Xenogears and Final Fantasy staff working together.

(-) Not as good as the original game and too many playable characters, some of which are just plain stupid and were a waste of time to even bother making.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/17/00, Updated 08/17/00