Review by chrispix

"Could a game get any better then this?"

Introduction:
This game is truly amazing. Every aspect seems to be perfect. This may be the first game that truly deserves the title of “Best Role Playing Game Ever.” A joint project from the story creators of both Xenogears and Chrono Trigger, the story boggles the mind. Also the translation team deserves way more then three cheers.

Storyline: 10/10
Again and again, I try to think of a story that compares to one of this magnitude. Yet, again and again, my mind draws a blank. It is just unbelievable as to which this story goes. It sends your mind on a journey in which you never wish to leave. Forget about sleep. Block out your friends. Stock up a fridge for few months and just have a long heart to heart with your Playstation. You begin in a weird dungeon type building, and it is evident who you are after, Lynx, a demi-human with what else but evil intentions. Throughout the course of your adventure with Serge, the main character, you will have many choices as to what to say, many of which will decide which of the 40+ characters join your party.

WOW, this is where the game gets interesting. HA! You thought the story was enough to expand the limits of rational thought, right? Well with gameplay like this, the graphics could be Nintendo Entertainment System style, non-existent sound, and the worst story ever written, yet I would still play it. An innovative magic system begins it. You either find or buy your magic spells, which are called Elements. You then place your Elements in your Elemental Grid. Once placed, you can use them in battle, provided you have the current level usable for that Element. The battle system is similar to that of Xenogears. You have a level 1, 2, and 3 attack, each more powerful then the previous, but less likely to connect. Proper use of a normal attack raises your level, 1 level for a level 1 attack and so forth, which allows you to use your Elements. The downside to Elements is you can only use the main ones (which don’t include Consumables, these can be used up to five times in battle) only once. But that does not really present a problem. Random battles, which everyone seems to hate nowadays, are a thing of the past, continuing with the Chrono name. You choose when to fight, except bosses. Another thing of the past is the leveling up system. After battle, depending on the strength of the enemy, you can gain points in stats. If you fight one enemy to many times, then you will no longer gain stats, which is a hint to move on to harder foes. After most boss battles, you acquire a star, and also expect huge stat boosts, in almost every category.

Graphics and Sound: 10/10
Truly a wonder. I never knew such graphics were possible on the Playstation, but now I realize they are. Highly detailed backgrounds, with movements, hardly ever seen, if it ever has been. The battle scenes are truly a wonder in themselves. Very few FMV, but when there is one, it rivals that of Legend of Dragoon (second disk on) and Final Fantasy VIII.
The music is yet another masterpiece from Square. I found no song to be terrible enough that I was itching to hit my mute button. Not only would this game be a great investment, the soundtrack would also be a good buy.

Replayability: 10/10
Following games such as Legend of Mana and Chrono Trigger, this game also uses the New Game + feature. Through that, you are able to start a new game with your previous game’s stats. The only things missing will be your most powerful Elements, Summons, and your characters, but these will be saved in memory for when you come across then again.

Conclusion:
This game is AMAZING! It turns out to be one those rare gems that hardly every appear. Square could have sold it for the price of a console, and it still wouldn’t be a rip-off. My advice to you is BUY IT! BUY IT! Just get off your couch, grab your keys, jump in your car and get down to your local video game retailer as fast as you can, so that you can add this game to your collection. Even if you have never played Chrono Trigger, or if you have never played a Role Playing Game in your life, this one is a good one to cross over with (no pun intended).

Total Score: 40/40