Review by st11957

"a game that lives up to the tradition of command & conquer games"

Command & Conquer has always been one of my favorite games. I picked up a copy of this game to see if this was as good as the first. I have to say that this was MUCH BETTER in my opinion. This game is just as fun as the first and I love the additional vehicles and the multiplayer.

Graphics: 7
The graphics are bascially the same as the first C&C game. The soldiers and vehicles are not that detailed but they don't really need to be since they are likely to be destroyed at some point.The soldiers and civilians are small and can sometimes blend in with the surroundings so thank goodness that you have a map that shows all of the vehicles and civilians on it. Other than that there are not really any glitches with the graphics. The fmv is pretty good too although they tend to show the same exact fmv after different missions. The two generals in fmv are basically useless fmv's though because they just give you a briefing of what you are doing and you get another briefing before each mission so it's pretty pointless.

Sound: 9
I love the sound in this game. The music lets you get into the game and is appropriate for the missions (with some exceptions). The music sometimes has voices in it which is confusing because I really have no idea what they are saying. The sound fx are heard pretty clearly. The soldiers' voices and the sound of tanks firing their guns are all heard with clarity. The voices are usually helpful especially the voice that tells you when your base is being attacked. I think that the sound is one of the better points of the game.

Gameplay: 10
This game is one of the most fun that I have ever played. Blowing up your enemy's tanks and bases is very very fun. If you don't like destroying your enemies with tanks and soldiers then you probably shouldn't even be reading this review. All the different types of vehicles and troops will keep you happy for a long time. This game is extremely difficult though and you may find yourself throwing the controller and getting very angry which will probably make the game not very fun at all. The multiplayer easily cures this as it is extremely fun and I find myself playing the multiplayer with my friend for many many many hours. The gameplay is my favorite part of this game.

Control: 5
The control is the weak point in this game. The controls are responsive but you have to give a unit multiple orders to the same place to get the unit there without having it go all the way around the map to get where it's going. This can be extremely annoying especially if you are facing a big force that is preparing to attack your base and you don't have time to guide a unit all the way to its destination. I wish the controls were better but it doesn't hurt the game too much because of its great gameplay.

Story: 7
It's basically the same story as in the other C&C games. Two sides battle each other, one being good and the other being bad. Even though this is the basic story for all C&C games it's still effective and I still love the story. In this case it is the Soviets are trying to take over the world and the Allies are trying to stop them. You can choose to be either one (which is why there are 2 disks) and each has their own separate missions.

Replay: 10
Are you going to replay this game? You bet! This game has two disks and a lot of single player missions. Plus there are tons of different multiplayer maps which you could spend days playing you friends and still not plays all the maps. You may get discouraged by the difficutly of this game at first but once you realize how fun it is then you won't even mind.

If you played a different C&C game or never played one at all at least try and rent it or borrow it from a friend that has it. If you like it then buy it and if you don't then you don't have to buy it, but I'm pretty sure that you will like it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99