Review by Lagunathemoron

"Crash returns and lets his fans down..."

Crash Bandicoot: Warped is the third game in the ever-popular Crash Bandicoot series. Unforunatley, Crash Bandicoot is neither warped or in a better game then the first adventure. This time, Crash spends just as much time on transportation then on foot, having proper platforming fun. For the first time in a Crash Bandicoot game, Coco, Crash Bandicoot's sister is playable for the first time. Well not quite, you get to control her on tigers, Jet Ski's spaceships and just that really...

This time Crash Bandicoot has a storyline which fit's the Good Verses Evil theme better then that of Crash Bandicoot 2. Aku Aku and Uka Uka, two ancient masks are alive. The good one, who has aided Crash Bandicoot as a shield in the previous games is representing the good side, and the evil one is representing the bad side. The evil mask has become ''friends'' with Dr. Neo Cortex, and has plans to take over the world. It looks like it is up to Crash and Coco to save the day... once again!

Graphics have been improved a lot for the third adventure. This time the backgrounds are better, water effects are done great and the characters are no longer blocky, looking much better! The character animations are a lot better as well.

Music is not exactly a strong point in Crash Bandicoot: Warped. The first Crash Bandicoot has awsome music. The music in this game is good in some places only though, for example the jet-ski theme tune or the level select, but that is about it!

The old system of corridoor platforming is back once again, and half of what is for show is the same old thing really. Crash does have many more moves and transport for us to tamper with. For example, he can double jump, very fast run, and use a bazooka to shoot Wumpa Fruits.

The transport that Crash get's to use are good, but not great and act as simple mini-games. In one, Crash Bandicoot rides a motorbike to come first in a race on an American style-track./ In another he fast dogfights over farmland, and Coco has a fair few involving jet-ski levels.

The biggest downfall in terms of Gameplay is the lifespan. When I got the game a couple of years ago, I managed to complete it the day I got it, I completed it in around six hours, only having trouble with one of the bosses. The bosses are much easier then last time though. Whilst the bosses on the first two games took a lot of thinking to defeat, the same pattern usually falls in to place in this game, like avoid attacks until enemy stops attacking, go to them and attack.

This has to be the best looking game of the series, and you wouldn't be fooled to thinking this was the best game in the series, but it is actually the worst game in the series. You should buy it only at a low price, but I managed to beat it several years ago on my first aptempt, and I was only a youngster back then, oh yes I was!

Good

- The third in the series
- Coco is playable- sort of!
- Power-ups aplenty!

Bad

- Repeative
- Get's broing fast
- Very, very easy
- Music

Summary:

Graphics - 9/10
Music - 3/10
Sound - 3/10
Gameplay - 4/10
Story - 7/10
Enjoyment - 5/10
Lifespan - 2/10
Overall - 5/10

Alternatives: Once again, try one of the first crash Bandicoots, a Mario or Sonic game. You can try another Playstation platform game like Gex, 40 winks, Croc and the fun Ape Escape.

Should I get this if I have the previous/future one's? I wouldn't reccommend it. So far, this is the worst in the series, is not exactly entertaining and should only purchase if you are a big fan of the series and the game is going at a low price.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 05/10/02, Updated 05/10/02