Review by Psycho Penguin

"Feeling like a freak on a leash..."

During the first wave of Playstation games, a lot of sorry games were created, ranging from Iron Man XO to Tomb Raider. But after this sudden wave of games, there was not as much bad games released. SaGa Frontier. Spawn. And of course, almost every Eidos game. Deathtrap Dungeon is yet another half-baked attempt at Eidos cashing in on the Tomb Raider fad. This game is pretty much like Tomb Raider, and trust me if theres one game that you should NOT even attempt to copy off of, its Tomb Raider.

Deathtrap Dungeon has everything Tomb raider has: a fully polgyonal woman (but this time she's a dominatrix), boring and tedious puzzles, unresposnive controls, and grainy graphics that suffer from popup, pixellation, and other great effects like that. Music is equally as sweet. Let me just say that this game is not worth buying at all, dont make the same mistake that I did! I just felt that this was an absolutely horrible attempt at making a Playstation game, and should be avoided at all costs.

The story line to the game is just about the best part of this otherwise boring and dismal game. It is the town of Fang, the town has been taken by the Red Dragon. The Count, Baron Sukumvitz, has decided that for the security of the villagers, the Dragon will be kept inside a dungeon. The Baron offers a reward to anyone who can come inside the dungeon, slay the dragon and return alive. The reward would be his weight, in gold! And for this reason, the dungeon has been filled with traps and hordes of other deadly monsters. The Dragon has shown no signs of disagreement, saying that he enjoys the sport. As brave mercenary, you will brave the dungeon, and try to beat the infamous Red Dragon. That is the epitome of a cool story line, as it was really creative and original. If only the rest of the game was worked on as hard...

These game's graphics look just like Tomb Raider, which is the worst possible thing I can say about a game's graphics. The woman domanatrix looks okay if youre into that sort of thing but all of the other graphics suffer from terrible pixellation. Also, the game's frame rate is really terrible, and there is tons of popup. Ugh. I was really not impressed with the graphics of the game, although there were some fairly cool aspects of the graphics in the game, they just did not impress me that much.

The enemy designs in the game are solid enough, and there was a nice variety of them. I am not cracking on them, at all. I am instead worried about the quality of the backgrounds of the game. The camera moves in a very weird way, which means that you are going to end up seeing a lot of popup. And the game itself is designed in such a dark matter that most of the background designs will not even be seen by most players. However, judging by the quality of them, with all of the pop up and stuff, that may not be such a bad idea.

The only music I heard in the game really, really sucked. It made we wanna take a knife to the throat of the composer. I think the developers of the game wanted the game to have the feeling of a dark Egyptian tomb or something, so they decided to include this dark and mysterious music in the game. However, I was not impressed by the music in this game, at all. I felt most of it was annoying and got extremely repetitive after a while. I wish the music would have been better, because as it stands, I was not that impressed with the music, at all.

The sound effects are amazing in the fact that they sound so messed up. This is not good, at all, to say the absolute least. The sound becomes a real nuisance. The enemies' moans and laughter isn't scary, it is annoying. Most sounds seem very identical to each other. It's hard to distinguish a certain sound, which is to your disadvantage because the screen is often dark and the sounds of the creatures are the only warnings you often get. The sounds produced by traps are loud and very uncomfortable to hear. I was not impressed with the sound effects, either.

I did not really like the control in this game, as the one thing I was hoping for entering this game was that the control was not as bad as it was in the original Tomb Raider. Sadly, my worst fears about the control in the game were realized when I discovered that the control was really rotten. It was next to impossible to move around your character at first until you got the hang of it, but even then it still became fairly challenging to do even the simplest things in this game.

Yay, another boring Tomb Raider clone! In all fairness, Deathtrap Dungeon has a new scope of gameplay: you set traps to kill your enemies, hence the name of the game. The problem is, the game is so not fun it really doesn't matter if the gameplay is deifferent. Most of it involves tedious platform jumping. This game is definitely not reccomended because it is rather tedious and flat out boring to play. The developers of the game had a lot of good ideas but they were all executed fairly horribly.

The puzzles in the game seemed like a novel idea at first, because they actually involved setting traps for your enemies and trying to place them in these traps. It was fun at first but soon got annoying when you could not find any traps to lay out. And the puzzles were not that challenging, I got through most of them in a few minutes. And the dungeons were poorly designed and challenging, as you could literally get trapped in there with all of the monsters running around.

There is not a lot of replay value to this game at all, as you may expect me to say if you actually decided to sit down and read this whole review. Of course I did not want to play this game much at all after I found out how rotten it was. I hated playing this game and I probably always will! There are hardly any redeeming factors to playing this game, considering the extremely crappy ending, so why would you even bother to play through it?

You can beat it in a day, but would you really want to? I mean, there is not a lot here to do. The traps were fairly easy to set up as long as you knew what you were doing. And the puzzles were not that challenging, I got through most of them in a few minutes. And the dungeons were poorly designed and challenging, as you could literally get trapped in there with all of the monsters running around. You did not get a lot of hit points to work with, especially with all of the possible hit points loss you can sustain.

Deathtrap Dungeon tries something new, but it is too much like Tomb Raider, and it is so horrible I don't reccomend it. I just did not like playing this game much at all. Let me just say that this game is not worth buying at all, dont make the same mistake that I did! I just felt that this was an absolutely horrible attempt at making a Playstation game, and should be avoided at all costs. I hope you do not decide to get this game, because it is seriously a waste of money!

Good Points
-Well, the ideas were pretty innovative.
-The story line is awesome and original.

Not So Good Points
-All of the ideas were executed horribly.
-The graphics are just plain terrible.
-I hated the music and sound effects.
-There is no replay value to speak of.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan Style!
Story Line - 9.3/10
Graphics - 2.3/10
Music - 1.8/10
Sound Effects - 1.9/10
Control - 0.8/10
Game Play - 1.1/10
Replay Value - Below Average
Challenge - Above Average (Mike Sanders)
Is this game worth a purchase? - Definitely NOT.
Overall - 1.1/10

The Last Line
This is a decidedly mediocre game that could have been a lot of fun had the developers spent more time on it. There is a lot of innovative ideas, and I really wanted to enjoy this game, but it was too much like Tomb Raider for all the wrong reasons. Avoid this like a sex crazed 60 year old horny man after a beer binge.

And that's a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/00, Updated 07/16/01