Review by roadkill

"Yippie-Ki-Yay"

The game based off one of the most popular series in the world. Die Hard Trilogy follows the life of a LA cop John McClane (played by Bruce Willis) who has run into a bit of bad luck. This game is composed of three individual games; Die Hard, Die Harder and Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Die Hard Graphics - 8
This is an overhead shooter (like Tomb Raider, Fear Effect, Resident Evil, you get it). And this is done extremely well for when this game was released. There is a good assortment of guns and different kinds of bombs that you can use in this game. Each one having it's own unique look. I particularly like the look of the explosive shot gun. The bottom level of the building is the parking garage and all the cars are, ahem, expendable. So, have fun.

Die Harder Graphics - 9
This one is a type of First person shooter but it is one of those kinds with a pre-set path you must follow (like Virtual Cop, House of the Dead). This one to looks great, even by today's standards. This game has totally interactive backgrounds meaning; hey, there's a soda machine, let's blow it up. The ceiling tile, the computers, the light fixtures, everything is fair game.

Die Hard with a Vengeance Graphics - 8
Hmmm, how to describe this one. It's like a racing game but not quite. Your objective is to race around the city, find bombs and run into them (don't try this at home). It's craziness might remind you of Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast/PS2. In this game, you have two views you can choose from; a first person and a behind view. One of my favorite things to do in this game is running over pedestrians (call me morbid). Change your view to first person while running em down and see pixilated blood splatter on your windshield. But how do you clean it off? Not problem, the windshield wiper does it's job.

Die Hard Sound – 10
The explosions, the comments, the sound as you unload a clip into your target. Fox did a good job in the department. It escapes me as to whether this game has any background music to it, so if there is any it’s either not very noticeable or nothing spectacular.

Die Harder Sound – 10
This to has all the same sound effects of the first except I know for a certainty there is background music. The music isn’t too spectacular and yet not annoying at all.

Die Hard with a Vengeance Sound – 10
This is the best sounding game of all. If you’ve ever watched the movie, you know that Samuel Jackson plays Mr. McClane’s “sidekick” and he makes comments throughout the whole movie. Well, that’s in here too and let me tell you it really adds to the game. As your driving along, you here comments like “let me drive” and if your like me and you intentionally run of pedestrians you’ll hear “are you aiming for those people?” And of course, there’s the screams of the pedestrians as you meow em down.

Die Hard Control – 8
It’s pretty easy to control, once you get the controls down.

Die Harder Control – 7
This ones a little harder due to the fact that it’s a shooter. With the controller, I had having to race to one side of the screen just to shot a bad guy. And since this game was made before analog, trying to use the analog sticks is a pointless venture being they don’t work.

Die Harder Control with a light gun – 9
A lot easier. I just have the Mad Katz light gun but it seems to do the job. Best of all, you can use that light gun on your PS2.

Die Hard with a Vengeance Control – 8
It’s pretty much like any other racing game, but this ain’t really a racing game. You can go forward, reverse, switch to first person view, run over people. This game has it all.

Die Hard Replay – 10
It’s fun, it’s entertaining, it’s easy, what’s not to love.

Die Harder Replay – 8
Without the light gun, this game might get to be kinda a pain, but grab a light gun and watch replay skyrocket.

Die Hard with a Vengeance Replay – 7
So fun but so long, this has got to be the longest game in the three game composite. Occasionally I’ll play the first maybe second level just for kicks. There are cheats all of over the net for infinite time and stuff, so if you get this game, I suggest you check them out. Cause when you’re having fun, who wants to worry bout time?

Die Hard Overall – 9
This is a great game. Even by itself it’d be worth the money.

Die Harder Overall – 8
I’ve always like this genre of games, but unfortunately, the PlayStation falls short of them.

Die Hard with a Vengeance Overall – 7
Not as good as the first two, but it’s still a whole lotta fun. But, I think I’d rather be playing Crazy Taxi.

Overall – 8
Good game, it’s a greatest hit so you shouldn’t have any problem finding this one for a good price.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/17/01, Updated 07/17/01