Review by Psycho Penguin

"Wanted: Ways to kill Dinosaurs!"

Introduction

Remember when all Capcom seemed to make was Mega Man and Street Fighter games? Well, those days are long gone. Now,
we're in the next generation, and Capcom is now pumping out hit after hit. Dino Crisis was one of these hits, and dare I say one of Capcom's best games. It is just so much fun to play, and while the gameplay seems a lot like Resident Evil 3: Nemesis to begin with, Dino Crisis is really a completely different game.

Because, instead of killing enemies like zombies and stuff, you have to kill, like the name implies, dinosaurs. It really is quite fun. Basically, you start off in this facility. Soon, you discover that something killed off the guards at the facilities. Soon after this, a Velicoraptor attacks you and kills one of your comrades. This is when the real fun starts! The game is so cool and I love to kill the dinosaurs! On with the review!

Graphics (9.4/10)

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis had great graphics, but featured prerendered backgrounds. Dino Crisis, on the other hand, has 3D movement. So basically the screen moves with you. It really does have a different feel to it than the feeling in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis or any of the other Resident Evil games. The character and enemy designs are great, and the cutscenes are very sharp (and there aren't too many, thank god).

Character designs in the game are great. There are a lot of different characters in the game, ranging from the main character Regina to all the side characters. They all have great and unique designs to them. I especially enjoy the design of the main character in the game, it is cool how she had red hair and her outfit that she wears is well designed. Overall, the character designs in the game are fantastic.

Enemy designs in the game are great, also. If you couldn't tell my the name of the game, the enemies in the game are not zombies (as in that OTHER survival horror series by Capcom), but instead are giant, ferocious dinosaurs! There is a wide variety of dinosaurs present in the game, from T-Rexes to Velicoraptors. And all of the dinosaurs look very realistic, especially the T-Rexes. Overall, the enemy designs in the game are great.

The coolest thing about the graphics in this game are the fact that the game is in true 3D, not the pre-rendered backgrounds that the Resident Evil series featured. I am a fan of both designs and think that the 3D mdoe of this game is much more suited for this game then the pre rendered graphics and backgrounds would have been. I like the 3D graphics.

Overall, the graphics in Dino Crisis are fantastic. The enemy designs are great and look very realistic, and the characetr designs are fantastic as well. The 3D look of the game is a nice touch in my opinion.

Music/Sound (9.2/10)

The music and sound effects featured in Dino Crisis are pretty well done. The music has a scary beat to it, and while there isn't too much music featured in the game (just like in Nemesis), whats there is good. I especially like the music that plays when you fight some dinosaurs later on in the game. Sound effect wise, Dino Crisis is great. I especially enjoy hearing the wail of the dinosaurs when I kill them.

Music in the game is great, but I stil think that Capcom could have done a better job with the music in the game. As you may expect, there isn't much music featured in the game, and what music is featured has a very scary beat to it. This is to get the game over as a ''survival horror game'', because that's what it is. The music that plays when you are in scary situations is pretty well done because it has a very scary beat to it. Overall, the music in the game is great.

Sound effects in the game are good as well. I like how the various dinosaurs screams are featured in the game, and each of the dinosaur has a different sounding scream that I think is really cool. Also, there is some voice acting featured in the cut scenes, and I think the voice actors did a great job in voicing the characters. They don't sound too cheesy like the voice acting featured in the Resident Evil games. Overall, the sound effects are great.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are fantastic. The music is great but I felt that Capcom could have done a little better job. It just didn't have the correct feeling in my opinion. The sound effects in the game are great as well. I especially like the various sounds of the dinosaurs and the voice acting in the game.

Gameplay/Control (8.3/10)

Dino Crisis is a survival horror game, like the Resident Evil series, but it is a lot different than your basic survival horror game. You get a wide variety of weapons, but due to the limited ammo i would advise just using the tranqulizers for some parts of the game. There is a wide variety of puzzles and missions, and the puzzles actually are more than the basic ''insert key in the hole''.

Control in the game is pretty good, although certainly not perfect. I like how you can change the control of the game to your liking by going to the options screen in the beginning of the game. I also like how you can use both the analog and digital pads. Really cool, indeed. Overall, the control in the game is great.

The game is a lot like the Resident Evil series at heart, but there are a lot of differences between them too. First off, there are dinosaurs in this game instead of zombies, as you may have guessed. Also, the main goal of this game is to actually avoid the dinosaurs and just tranqulize them instead of actually killing them with weapons. Very unique indeed.

Overall, Dino Crisis is a great game, but I still think that it could have been better. The game is kind of complex, especially for a survival horror game. I think that the Resident Evil series is just a tad bit more fun, but Dino Crisis is still a great game.

================================
Other Important Scores
================================

Replay Value: Medium

Dino Crisis may not have the highest replay value of a video game, but it does have decent replay value. You will want to play it until you beat it (more than likely) but playing through it multiple times may not be the best of options. Mainly because the game is long, and there really aren't too many secrets featured in the game. So, overall, the replay value is just average.

Challenge: Medium

Dino Crisis can get to be a challenging game, especially after a while. In the middle of the game, the challenge decreases a little bit but soon picks up again. Overall, the challenge is decent.

GOOD POINTS
-----------------

-The 3D graphics in the game are great.
-The puzzles are pretty complex.
-Decent replay value.

BAD POINTS
----------------

-The music kind of disappointed me
-It's just not as fun as the RE series.
-Challenge is kind of lacking

Overall (9.8/10)

I love this game! Well worth a purchase!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/20/00, Updated 07/16/01