Review by roadkill

"A new RPG done in an old-school style."

Three years in the making, Enix’s answer to millions of fans worldwide come true. A new addition to the popular Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest in Japan) is finally here. I hear over in Japan, the Dragon Quest series is as popular as the Final Fantasy series. This game entered the planning stages right around of the birth of the PlayStation. And finally, Enix’s masterpiece is ready to shine.

Graphics – 8
These graphics are plain and ordinary but great. They might remind you of the SNES days of RPGs in a 3D block-style environment. But, they go together well in my opinion. Its like, your characters are 2D sprites in this fully3D rotational 360 degree world. Its actually pretty cool. The only gripe I have here is that the edges of the environments look rough and jagged.

Graphics on PS2 – 9
The environments look even better when run in enhanced mode. All the problems I previously mentioned about the rough and jagged edges seem to vanish.

Sound – 8
I do love the background music in this game. At time, they pick some really interesting pieces. If I could find the soundtrack for this game, I would snatch it in a heartbeat. The sound effects in battle such as your guy slashing an enemy might also bring back some nostalgia of the old SNES days. Yep, they are just those crappy old midi files (you know, the ones that sound like there being played out of a tin can).

Concept – 8
Well, I’m not really sure here. I’m not too far into the game to give you some real information. But you have classes (both human and monster). I can’t really tell you much being I haven’t really experienced this for myself. But what I can tell you is that this game is like no other game that you’ve ever played (not counting any previous Dragon Warrior/Quest games). First off, your menu is something rather confusing at the start. Well, it still is in many ways. When you hit the X button, your main menu pops up. It’s the weirdest setup I’ve ever seen. It’s not even a screen to itself, it just opens this box in the corner on your screen. Truly strange. I’m still trying to get the hang of this stuff.

Control – 7
Ok, forget the control style for any RPG to date cause this is truly unique. It’s like, this game purposely tries to confuse people. X is the menu and Triangle is to talk/examine/pick up things. It’s strange to get used to. Of course, your left and right shoulder buttons (L1 and R1 I think, been awhile) swivel the stage around. This game promises gamers 100+ hours and I think some of that time is contributed to controller goof ups. But don’t let the controls hinder you from buying this excellent game.

Battle system – 8
Again, this is strange. If you’re a fan of the old SNES/Genesis RPG days, you’ll love this game. In battles, its like, first perspective. You don’t see your guys, just your enemies. I’ve never seen anything like this done before either. When you bash the enemy, you hear this little midi sound effect playing and see a little streak run across your opponent. Also all the monsters are beautifully drawn. It’s a shame you have to kill them. When you start a fresh game, you start on an island that has no monsters. Later on as you unlock islands, you meet a lot of different and unique looking creatures. And of course, you kill them.

Replay – 9
I was into this game hardcore up until I got FFX. But after I’m done with that, I plan to return. With 100+ hours, this game will have you coming back for more. But once I beat it, I think that’ll be it. I mean, starting a 100+ hours game right from the beginning after completing it?

Overall – 8
It’s a great game that is worthy of owning. One things for sure, if you’re someone who just rents the game and doesn’t let it go until you complete it, this is the wrong game for you. The cost of renting this game all those times will alone pay to buy this game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/02/02, Updated 01/02/02