Question from PixelBead

Game boots but won't start?

Hi,

I just recently got FF VII as an early Christmas present from my son. I have a PS2 and it starts up fine in there, running through the intro music etc. On the 'New Game' and 'Load' menu, I select new game and at that point the screen remains black. There are no sounds or visuals of any type, whether I'm moving the joystick or pressing buttons. Nothing happens. Help?

PixelBead provided additional details:

I want to say I agree because disc 1 is scratched. My son had 2 sets of discs 2 and 3, one of which was scratched one not. What I find so strange is the way it runs the intro credits and all without even a hiccup. It will even go look on the PS1 memory card for any saved games (though there are none) but it will not start the game.

I probably have doubts because I have an old Bugs Bunny game that is pretty badly scratched that runs fine on the PS2. Thanks for your help though.

UPhail answered:

If it's scratched, then do this. At most Gamestop's, they have this solution stuff called DiskSkip Fixer. It sells for a little over $10, but it's way worth it. After you buy it, apply it to the scratched bottom area, take a soft dry washcloth, and buff the disk with the stuff, but be careful not to use too much! Let it sit out to dry a bit, and after about 15 - 30 minutes, take the washcloth and buff it one more time without the DSF, and try the disk in the PS2 again. The stuff works great, I know cause I use it all the time. (My discs always get scratches and nicks and stuff, and when I bought this, I was surprised how well it worked!) ⑨
2 0

Answers

NegimaSonic answered:

Well, sounds like you just have a bad disc but just in case.
Make sure you are using the first disc of the game and not the second or third.
Are there a lot of scratches on the back of the first disc?
Do you have the analog on? That might mess up your game I believe. Press the button in between the analog sticks when the disc starts up to turn it off.
0 0

rizo23 answered:

Is it a new copy or used? used games frequently have scratches on them, and with ps1 games, even small marks and scrathces can have a big affect on them. I got a new copy of another game before, and it didnt work! must have been some factory flaw..if your copy is new, this may be the case. check for strange discolorations, marks and scratches if you haven't already. If theres nothing wrong with the disc then I'm clueless, It should work fine for ps2, even better then ps1 for loading speed.
..does it work on a regular playstation? if it doesnt, its definitley a disc problem.
0 0

Martin_Golding answered:

Get a bulky ps2 games usaly work better than on a slimline ps2
0 1

Cream0weet67 answered:

This may sound wierd, but my friend had a Chrono Cross disc that didn't work on his playstation or my PS2, but worked on my playstation just fine. I guess trying it in a different system is worth a try, but your chances of having the luck we had are very little. Also, you can buy replacement discs for such games and often get stores to run discs under those disc debuffers (can't remember what they're called...).
0 0

jackripper36 answered:

Sometimes its just the consuls themselves that are picky about what is played in them i know it sounds weird but its true
0 0