Review by AtmaIllumina

"A Mediocre Game With A Notorious Legend"

Alright then. FF7 happens to be the 5th FF rpg that I have played as a lad. I didn't enjoy it the first time and the wall streets gave me nightmares, but I replayed it and managed to be satisfied the next time around. Here's my personal opinion and review on the game: it's not too shabby but it still sucks eggz.

Plot/Story: 7

A nicely created plot for a FF. This game's story differs from the legendary FFs (1-6) and that is what makes it original and creative. The story of FF7 is not difficult to comprehend and even a 10 year old could follow it but it leaves some interesting questions in mind.

Battle System: 2

The whole materia deal was pretty nice and original. The style, however, was not. I dislike atb bars. 'Nuff said.

Gameplay: 9

Well, it's never a dull moment in FF7. There's always something to do and somewhere to go. The chocobo breeding system is actually the only fun part about the mini games and such....but this gets a 9 for awesomeness.

Characters: 4

Ahh...home sweet home.... This FF has some pretty horrible characters. There are some that are pointless and many that are static. The real question is- why do most of the characters fight? There's no real reason for more than half your cast to fight Shin-Ra or Sephiroth. Characters like Cloud, Barret, Vincent, Red, and Caith Sith are worthy characters of merit. The game doesn't need the rest of the crew. Points for great characters like Red, Cid and Hojo. They are what kept the game alive for me.

Music: 6

I's a low score but I'll tell you why. FF7 has a hanndful of good music. Some themes are soo good that it has you dancing. However, there are those that make you want to cry. Throughout the game you hear some very repetitive music. All of FF7 is one big theme. This game has almost zero variety in music. You would expect that out of a NES game but not a FF. What were the creators thinking when they released the soundtrack?! But it's not all bad. Most music like the One Winged Angel and others are actually enjoyable. I'm really tough when it comes to grading music as my tastes are very refined. Not bad...decent....

Graphics: 8

These graphics were supreme in gaming history. In fact, it's probably the reason why FF7 is so overrated today. It's because the 3D game came out at such a convenient time in our history. There's nothing to discuss here. The scenes were nice, the environs, epic, and the beyond is impeccable.

Replay Value: 7

This game has some decent amount of replayability. If you didn't understand the story or breed anything the first time, you could do it the second time around. The game is quite long though...

Overall: ~7

It's a decent game but not one to get all hype about. Again, it's my personal view so don't get a stick in your fanny. I was satisfied playing the game the next few times around but I can never quite understand why people think it's a masterpiece. It's a decent game and it left few questions unanswered. But that is not a reason for SE to go ahead and make dozens of spinoffs and other junk to promote this game further. I hear rumors of a remake for ps3 but I'd rather watch another season of Pokemon before that ever happens.

Reviewer's Rating:   3.5 - Good

Originally Posted: 07/06/09

Game Release: Final Fantasy VII (US, 09/07/97)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.