Review by Death_Haiku

"Final Fantasy VII: Possibly the funnest game ever."

Originally, Final Fantasy VII was a game that came out of the blue. Not a lot of Americans had played the Final Fantasy games, and were unfamiliar with them, that is, until Final Fantasy VII. Since Final Fantasy VII, I've noticed a lot of Americans (myself being one) have fallen in love with the franchise.

Final Fantasy introduced 3d graphics to the franchise, and for being a game made two generations of systems ago, the graphics weren't bad. My personal favorite thing about Final Fantasy VII (besides the gameplay) is the soundtrack. Nobuo Uematsu did a great job of creating original background music that wasn't repetitive and annoying. It was something you could actually enjoy.

The game has a great story line, like most in the Final Fantasy series. I really can't give away much here, but I can tell you that the story is enjoyable and part of the reason I rated this game the way I did.

The gameplay of Final Fantasy VII, another reason that I rated it the way I did, has to be the funnest out all of the RPGs I've ever played. The battles are usually worth fighting, the equipment and materia system is easy to learn, and character development takes long-term thought. It also introduced "Limit Breakers",special abilities that are character specific and can only be used after a guage is filled, which are now fundamental in quite a few of the Final Fantasy games.

Final Fantasy VII has had a number of spin-offs. These include a movie, a third person shooter game following the story of one of the supporting characters, and a mobile game following the events that preceded the original. I thought the movie was alright, and the game following the supporting character wasn't that great. I don't have a cell phone, so I can't really say anything about the mobile game. If nothing else, all of these spin-offs make great collector's merchandise.

A lot of people ask why Final Fantasy VII is so great. I believe that the player couldn't ask for more in a RPG, but Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that you have to actually play to realize how good it is. I, being a person that has played, think that it could possibly be one of the best games ever made. Before you judge whether a game is good or not, play it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/07

Game Release: Final Fantasy VII (Greatest Hits) (US, 03/27/00)