Review by Arkturus

"The Fillet Steak Of Videogaming"

Introduction:
So, my first quick review, on the subject of one of my favorite games of all time, Final Fantasy VII. What is there that I can say about it that a number of individuals won't have said before? Probably very little, but I'll give it a shot.

Storyline:
Without a doubt, FF7 has one of the best storyline's that I have ever seen, if there's one negative, its the complexity. You play as Cloud Strife, a mercenary with scores to settle against the de-facto world government, Shinra, and a former colleague, the insane and deadly Sephiroth. As Cloud goes through the game he'll make new friends, fight old enemies and find out more about himself. Intriguing, eh?

Graphics:
To be honest, they've not really passed the tests of time, but like the majority of classic games that we still play today, it really doesn't matter. The cinematics are nice and whilst the normal game graphics are heavily pixellated and undetailed, you'll soon forget about them when you become immersed in the gameplay and storyline.

Sound:
One of the best in the series when it comes to audio, FF7 features a number of legendary tracks that feature highly on the 'most played' list of my iPod. Ranging from sad ballads such as 'Aeris' Theme' and frightening tunes like 'One Winged Angel' to the trance beat of 'Jenova's Theme', you won't be disappointed.

Gameplay:
Simply outstanding, if you want it short and simple. Once you put the disc in the console and become immersed in the world of Gaia, you'll find it a painful experience to have to put the controller down and leave it. Battling is the main feature of the game and in my opinion, FF7's materia system is the best battling system in the series, easy to understand and fun to play with, there are hundreds of different combinations to try out. Elsewhere, you can engage in minigames, some fun, some not, or complete sidequests and puzzles.

Lifespan:
To quote Bugenhagen - 'ho ho', Final Fantasy 7 is a game that will last you upwards of at least 50 hours (unless you're one of those crazy guys who does speed runs), even when you do finish it, there's a great deal of replay value, in your next playthrough, you can look for things you've missed, try out different materia and party combinations, fight the optional bosses or take part in one of the ridiculously difficult challenges created by members of this site. The possibilities are endless - 10 years on, and new things are still being done.

Final Recommendation:
Now, if this game was conveniently on the shelves of your local store, I would tell you to leave the house now and get it, unfortunately, its very unlikely that you'll find it in a shop, as they generally only sell new games, I'd suggest looking online or if the worst comes to the worst, play it on an emulator. Just make sure you don't miss out on one of the greatest games of all time, which would get a perfect 10 if the translation wasn't so iffy.

Now if just they'd remake it on the PS3...

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/04/07

Game Release: Final Fantasy VII (EU, 11/17/97)