Review by improv_gamer

"11 years later and still not final"

here is a quick breakdown of this game:

Ok, the only reason that I gave it a lower score here is because it is now 2008. we know that better graphics have been introduced to the PS, and honestly, the graphics are not that great. However, they do have a good anime style and the characters are defined enough that you can tell who is a boy or a girl by looking at them, a feat which some more current games have even come to fail at (*coughcoughvaancoughcough*). For the time, they were great, amazing graphics, cutscenes were good, exspecially summons, and it was fun to see what was going on on the screen. however, nowadays, they aren't as enjoyable.

Noubo Uematsu... Enough said. The guy is a musical genius. His tracks always hit the mark, and you can sometimes just sit there and listen to the music with out playing the game, just to take it in fully. of course, "one winged angel" made the game, and I would fight Sephiroth multiple times just to hear it if it wasn't for the fact that you can stream it off the web now. On an other note, the sound effects were.... slightly convincing.... and of course I can't mark off for not having voice overs. I mean, Nintendo has been getting away with it for years, and their games are still loved and adored.

Playability: 9/10
The game is very easy to play. The controls are basic, you don't really even have a need for changing camera angles, and the fighting with the characters is customizable enough that the only things that even slightly define how you use them are their weapons and limit breaks. The materia system is very smooth, though I sort of dislike how you have to spend gil for each person when you want to give them a skill/spell. the only real thing that I didn't like was the fact that once you filled up your limit bar, the only way to save it is to cast magic; you don't have the option to attack normally anymore.

Honestly. Any gamer who doesn't know the basic plot of Final Fantasy VII has either A) been living under a rock for the past 11 years, or B) just awoke from a long slumber in acoma. For those of you who fall under those catagories, I'm not going to spoil it for you. Even though some have found the game "unoriginal" or "cliched," and I have to say that the basic story kind of is, the game manages to deliver in such an original way (or at least when it came out) that it is a good experiance, and manages to put in its little twists and turns where you least expect it. Overall, it delivers well, and I think that it was one of the big land marks in making video games the new form of story telling.

So, if you get the chance, I think that you should definately play this game. However, at it's new outrageous cost of $75, you might want to try to find someone to borrow it from.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/25/08

Game Release: Final Fantasy VII (Greatest Hits) (US, 03/27/00)