Review by redbuck

"I hardly feel this game needs more reviews, but I just had to make one!"

So if I don't think Final Fantasy VII needs another review, why am I making one? Well, it was my very first Final Fantasy game, followed by X, going back to the earlier titles (I - VI), and going right on to the others. This is by far my favorite Final Fantasy game, possibly because it was my first, but I have a great love for it either way.

*Gameplay* Well, it's Final Fantasy; you'll likely know the basic gameplay, but let's get a little more in-depth, shall we? First of all, when you start out, you're obviously going to be weak - using only regular attacks and weak magic spells. As you progress, you'll obtain better spells with what's known as 'materia' which is the magic system in this game, and better weapons, too. Depending what kind of materia you use, it may lower certain stats and raise others. Mind you, it's never anything ridiculous; if you equip Fire materia, you're not going to have +99999999999999999 magic and then have -99999999999999999 for your strength. Maybe a 5 or 10 difference, but nothing horrible. ANYWAY, materia also gives your characters the ability to Summon your... Summons. Yes, they're simply called Summons. Magic and Summons all cost Magic Points (aka MP), and Summons are just like magic spells; you use them, and they cause damage, except you get a nice little cinematic sequence with Summons! ^-^ There are also many side-quests and mini-games, but I won't go into those too much - there are just too many! I will say, however, that I really enjoyed the Chocobo racing! Not exactly the breeding, but the racing was worth it.

As if the gameplay wasn't enough...

*Story* Hate-it-or-love-it kinda thing. I'm in the love it section. It's about your main character finding out about himself... well, it's not as simple as it sounds. You'll find out. ;) Like other Final Fantasy games, you'll find yourself starting out doing small work and eventually going up against a HUGE empire! Ok, it's more of an electric company with a huge extremely skilled military with great scientists to create powerful mutated monsters and an elite FBI type unit called the Turks, but hey, it's good, right? What makes it even better is that there's an even stronger badder bad guy! (I know badder isn't a word; I just felt the need to clear that up) He wants, what other than world domination? Old story, new twist; I won't ruin it, but I just have to say that it is a freakish yet good twist. How will you take them down with your rag-tag team of fighters? That also would ruin it if I told you, but it happens eventually. ^_^ Or so you think....

Still not convinced? Well, how about some...

*Music* Yes, the music! I'll include sound effects too, but I really would like to focus on the music. First of all, I'd like to say that punches sound like punches (as far as sound effects go anyway), gun shots REALLY sound like gun shots, fire sounds like a roaring flame, dogs bark, cats meow, and the whole shebang. Now for the MUSIC!!! Ok, ya know how when you want something to be dramatic, it gets dramatic music? Well, Final Fantasy VII does that perfectly. Want some upbeat fast-paced music with that action? No problem! Slow mellow music with those tears for reasons unspoiled? Got that too. What's more to ask for? I'd even listen to it without playing the game! It's just that good. Nobuo Uematsu did a great job with the music fitting into the different scenes.

STILL not convinced? Well, this won't help a whole lot, but if that didn't get you, then you either won't like the game at all, or there's not much more need for convincing.

*Graphics* I must say, they're absolutely beautiful. Not necessarily during most gameplay, but during battles? Phenomenal! FMVs? Even better! Obviously it's not great by today's standards, but this game out, what, twelve years ago? What's not to love? Unfortunately, some of the characters are never seen in FMVs, but I understand why.

*Overall* I shouldn't even have to say this considering the score I gave for it, but this is an absolutely must-buy game for any JRPG fan. What else can I say? It's all either in the review or there's just no need to say it at all. If you're still not entirely convinced, borrow it from a friend, buy it at a garage/yard sale, or whatever and it'll most likely change your mind. Some people really don't like the game and I respect that, but It's just that great. If you can rent it, rent it, but otherwise I would not hesitate to buy it; I'm sure it'll sell very easily if it doesn't get to you, but remember to play at least a few hours into it! :) Happy gaming!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/09, Updated 03/15/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy VII (US, 09/03/97)