Review by benlyd

"Best game ever? Well, it was a decent RPG for the time, but now it's just garbage."

Final Fantasy VII. It's regarded by many as a wonderful treasure from the gods of Squaresoft. It's regarded by some as overrated. It certainly is overrated. But I wouldn't call it a treasure, either.

Story: 3.5/10
Perhaps the game's best aspect. I won't go into it that much, but it's mostly about chasing a mysterious man named Sephiroth that used to be regarded as a hero. He now is feared and terrifying, as he has a hobby of burning down quaint villages on the weekends. I would give it a 5/10, but the horrendously translated and broken script takes it down a point or two.

Maybe they were good for the time period, but I just don't see it. The "beautiful FMVs" are no more than butchered 3D sequences featured characters that look like Legos that were teethed on by an infant. Really, it's *that* bad. The in-game graphics are no better. They feature hideously untextured enemies and character models created by scatterbrained procrastinators.

Nothing remarkable, but nothing bad. It fits into the background as background music it is.

This game features the traditional Active Time, turn-based battle system you've loved since Final Fantasy IV. It also features the unique "Materia" system, where you can put certain magics onto your equipment. This gives you the ability to use that magic and in turn it upgrades certain statistics of your character, like attack and defense. Why did I rate it so low? It's absolutely boring compared to previous games in the series. It's an absolute chore to play through! It's ridiculously easy on top of that!

Control: 4/10
I would have rated it lower had it not had that nice ability to change the controls to your liking, but it does. The horrific minigame controls lower the score to a four.

Replay Value: 5/10
There are tons of sidequests, but they're boring.

Scores
Story: 3.5/10
Control: 4/10
Replay Value: 5/10
Final Score: 4/10 (Not an average)

Pros
+ Materia System
+ Storyline Sequences
+ Minigames and Sidequests

Cons
- Graphics
- Full Motion Video Sequences
- Unremarkable Music
- Battle System
- Difficulty
- Controls
- Replay Value

Rent or Buy?
If you absolutely must, rent it and see for yourself how bad it is. Still stuck on it? Grab a PlayStation Network copy for $10.

A treasured gem of 1997 is awful by any standards the PlayStation had previously set up for me. I think the GameFAQs description of a 4/10 rating is very fitting for this game: "unremarkable and flawed."

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 07/08/11

Game Release: Final Fantasy VII (US, 09/07/97)