Review by DMattsen

"Quite possibly the greatest game ever made."

My friend called me up around christmas, telling me about a new game called Final Fantasy VII. I had heard about it, but never really payed attention to the hype. He told me to go out and buy it right away. I told him no, but he reminded me of how he suggested Chronotrigger (the best SNES RPG) to me. A few days later I went out and purchased FFVII. I was amazed after the first 10 minutes of gameplay. Dazzling graphics during FMVs, gameplay, battle sequences, everywhere! Wonderfully designed backgrounds and the great music that Squaresoft adds to every game added to my amazement. This was just the beginning...

You start out as Cloud Strife, a newbie to a rebel group called Avalanche. You don't know too much about Cloud yet, but you know that you are with this group to destroy something called a mako reactor. Just as you begin to think this whole game will revolve around this task, it changes. The world unfolds before your eyes in a smooth running, well written plot filled with twists and turns.

Like I said, the graphics are wonderful. Especially the FMVs, which aren't sparse as in some games. Backgrounds are detailed and the monsters are well thought up.

The sound is wonderful, which is expected from Squaresoft. Most of it is songs from earlier FF games such as the battle and victory themes.

The game is very easy to learn due to the help you get in the game. Controls are simple and battle is very easy. Also, the game isn't all serious. There is a place called the Golden Saucer which compares to Fun City in Star Ocean. It is a place full of games and contests which are great after spending hours defeating monsters in a cave.

The one problem with this game is the fact that there is 1 ending. This was a great game, but I expected more at the end. Dont get me wrong, the game still has a good ending, but not a detailed one as in other games.

Overall, I have to give this a 10 because I believe this is the RPG that all other RPGs will be compared to for quite some time.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 12/16/02