Review by KasketDarkfyre

"Stick to the Anime...."

One of the better known Japanese anime cult films comes to the PSX console for a game debute...however, it falls short in alot of areas.

-Graphics 5/10-

The opening scenes at the beginning and end of each level will leave you breathless, they are stunning to watch, and watch over and over again. The in-game graphics on the otherhand, well they aren't so good.

The buildings, and enemies lack any real depth if you're looking for visual eye-candy. I can't quite describe it, but they seem a little simple for a game that is based on something so graphic. Explosions seem to be flashes of light, with no real shape to then, which is fine, but the coloring of them are off.

The buildings seem like drawn blocks to take up space on the disc, and give you something to drive around, or, in some cases, up. Not at all what I was hoping for, or expecting.

-Sound 5/10-

Weak, very very weak. The music, well..you can hardly call it music. The rest is pretty much thrown together, and to make a long story short, you'll be turning on your stereo to the local FM station before too long.

-Control 6/10-

Not bad, but you'll need practice. Your perspective changes so much throughout the game, you'll be going down, instead of up, or left, instead of right...it takes a bit of practice, like I said, and alot of patience. Think of Descent and Star Fox 64, and you'll have a preety good idea of what I mean.

-Gameplay 5/10-

Taken for what it is, it's not a bad 3D shooter with a couple of added in extras. You'll play it because of the name, not so much because of what it's about. Sometimes it can get confusing, on where to go, and what to shoot.

There is another down fall, there are no weapon power-ups. You have your assortment of machine guns and grenades, and no outside help when you're in a fire fight. This can make the game tough...very very tough to play if you're just getting started, and might just make you turn the game off.

-Overall 5/10-

So-so graphics, weak sound, confusing controls, and yes, hard hard gameplay make this, for me, a low scoring game. It does have the cut-scenes, which are beautiful to watch, but they only add so much to the game. Fans of the Ghost in the Shell movie, will be very disappointed in the game itself, but will probably own it, like I do, just because of the name.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 02/20/00, Updated 02/20/00