Review by insert name

"My pick for the best CD-bound game ever"

First off, let me say this. Before I played Gran Turismo 2, I wasn't much of a fan of racing games. Now that I have exhausted its options over the 9 months I've had it, I am back normal, not much of a racing game fan. That says a lot for this game. In fact, I think GT2 is the best racing game ever, by far. Very far. On to the review.

So the game doesn't have the best graphics. Doesn't bother me one bit. The roads are still nice looking, the backgrounds and other objects are nice to look at. I see people angry that Sony didn't spend their effort on the graphics, well, I am VERY happy they didn't. Just look at what they did with all the space they saved.

Here's one of the subtle masterpieces this game offers. EVERY SINGLE car's engine was recorded. Yep. Sony went all around the world and recorded all the engine's sounds. That is amazing. The sound effects are what you would expect, grinding of cars, smashing into walls, they're all fine to listen to and don't get annoying.

Music: 5/10
The music in GT2 is pretty awful. There are 5 or 6 songs, including Dragula, but that's about it. Stone Temple Pilots' Sex Type Thing is the only song in the game I approve of, the rest I try and tune out.

Going from city to city, upgrading your cars, it's all a fantastic experience. A cool tune plays as you enter the four cities, and you are welcomed in your car's dealer as you go to buy parts for it. Believe me, the whole upgrading experience is pretty overwhelming right after you buy that new car you've been aiming for for weeks.

Cars: 10/10
This next sentence is the main reason this gets 10/10. There are 600 cars. 600 cars. 600 cars. Try counting to 600. Really, try it. When did you stop? 23? Now, think of the last racing game you played. How many cars did it have? Yeah, that's what I thought. Anyway, the cars are solid gold. 30+ companies you see every day pumping out racing machines. The cars are very well-rendered, there are some really subtle features on some of them that appear in real life. That's another thing, all the cars are real. Well, except for a few that were put in there for fun, like most of the LM Edition cars. Then there is racing modification. You can put a racing scheme on an old Toyota, or put it on a Mazda RX-7 to make it a full race car. There are foreign exotics in GT2, like the Venturi Atlantique and a company called RUF, who tunes Porsches. This is Sony's way of getting around EA's Porsche license, and they do it pretty well. I could go on and on and on and on about the cars, but you get the point. And if you don't, go play this game for a week and find out. It'll be the best time you ever spent in front of a television.

Replay Value: 10/10
This is the true beauty of the game. You can, like I have, race over 4000 times and still be searching for the best cars. Yes, that's how long it takes to get through this game fully. It takes SOOO long to drive all the cars you want to, it boggles the mind. This is all fit on one little compact disc! It's amazing. The tracks don't get boring either, there are 23 of them, and at least one of them will offer you just what you want in a race course. The replay value of this game is absolutely stunning and unbelievable. It will take you at least a full month of constant playing to find out what this game is all about.

This is the best Playstation game. This beats any Playstation 2 game. That's my 2 cents. The only racing game that will EVER top it is one that bears the Gran Turismo title. GT3 doesn't do it, I'm afraid. I would explain why, but this is a GT2 review. GT4 can be the best game of all-time, let's just hope Sony gets it right this time.

In summary, Gran Turismo 2 is ground-breaking. It makes all other companies who have ever made a racing game lay awake at night, wondering ''Why couldn't I have thought of that?'' It has been the ONLY game worthy of spinning in my Playstation since June, 2001. I only take occasional breaks from it to play the inferior games I have, and then it's back to GT2. My brother is constantly perplexed as to what I see in the game, my dad knows everything about it pretty much since I always say ''Oh yeah, that's in my game'' whenever we talk about cars, and I have played about 3500 game days over 4 careers. I have got every prize car I ever wanted, I have accomplished a lot in on-line racing, and I have gotten golds on all the license tests twice. And I still have lots to do. It's that good.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/23/02, Updated 03/23/02