Review by JckHamr123

"Just because its a perfect simulation of real driving, doesn't mean its fun."

In my opinion, Gran Turismo 2 sound the best on paper, but what counts in a game is how fun it is. GT2 is way too life like for its own good.

Graphics: 5.5 out of 10

HORRIBLE. The game runs at a super low resoltion, and the textures are even lower resolution. Some say that Sony did it to keep the framerate high, well, look at Ridge Racer Type 4. That game looks great, but it never slowed down at all. Others say that GT2 pushes the PSX in graphical power!! BS!!! You want to know a game that pushed the PSX, wipEout 3.

Control: 6 out of 10

Once again, its almost too real. I want to be concentrating on the other cars, trying to beat me, not whether my car is rear or front wheel drive. Also, using the Dual Shock doesn't really help. Your car doesn't turn till you've pushed it about half-way.

Sound: 7 out of 10

Everything sounds great (except for probably the worst soundtrack of real bands I've heard in a while. Garbage?? Does anyone even like that band any more), but its all really quiet. I found myself turning my TV up way to loud just to get normal volume out of it.

Gameplay: 6 out of 10

God I hope the more expensive cars handle better than this. At the beggining of the game you have to buy a cheap Japanese piece of $!#&. Once you get that sucker out on the track you realise how bad you got ripped off. Once you finally do get enough money to upgrade the game finally becomes playable.

Overall: 7 out of 10

The only reason I didn't give it a 6 was to keep some of you brain washed people from e-mailing me complaining to me. I personally think there are better racers out there: Ridge Racer Type 4, Sega Rally 2, and World Driver Championship. But who am I kidding, all of you will go out and buy anyway. At least rent it first, and make sure you are into this type of game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/30/99, Updated 12/30/99