Review by tectactoe

"Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder."

Now a days, like new millennium days, people are all worked up and going crazy over the new 3-D Grand Theft Auto's and how cool they are and how good they look. But they forget where it all started. Without a Grand Theft Auto I or II, would there have been a III? After a while of not playing this game, I felt the urge to go back and pop it in my PSOne. I'm glad I did.

It kind of reminded me of that old friend that you sort of forget about, but when you see him again, you are glad you did, and you don't want to forget about it again. I mean, of course, the graphics arenlt as good, and the view is pretty crazy, but you have to appreciate it, because look what it evolved into.

Ehh, the graphics of this game are... well... basically they are not that good. They could be pulled off with a Super Nintendo. But who said a game isn't fun because of the graphics. Even with the 2-D, cardboard, overhead view of the really small cars, you still can decipher what they are, and frankly, thats all I really care about. As long as I can tell whether I'm about to hijack a car or bus, it's all good.

The sound is fine. When you get into vehicles, you can hear the radio, and you can change the radio if you want. There aren't really any actual, real-life songs on the stations, but the songs that they do have aren't that bad. And there's enough of them to keep me entertained. The people screaming sounds good, too. No problem with that. And the explosions. Those are nice.

Control: 7/10
The controls, for the most part, are okay. Simple button presses are used to enter/exit vehicles, switch between weapons, shoot, run, etc. The part that gets a little squirmish is the walking controls. Something about it doesn't feel right at first. See, you have to turn your guy using left and right, and then hit up to walk forward. Even if you are going south, facing the bottom of the screen, you have to press up to walk forward. I don't really like that for some reason. I also don't like how the camera never turns. I wish you could make it so the camera follows behind you. Oh, well... the controls still get a 7 - not too bad.

Fun Factor: 9/10
Okay, I don't care what you say, this game is fun. Even if it's old and outdated. You know what? Old + Outdated = FUN, and that's a fact. I mean, who doesn't like to did through their old games, then go back and play them every now and then? This game especially.

Replay Value: 8/10
Even once you have beaten it, there is still more city to explore, more gangs to blow up, more innocent people to shoot, and more cars just waiting to be hijacked. And lets say you have beaten and played every single aspect of this game, I almost guarantee that in little while, after playing the new GTAs, you will be dying to come back this one.

Whether you agree or disagree with violence in video games... well just shut up. I mean, the people are too small to even be able to tell they are getting shot! Just sit back and enjoy gaming like it was before 2000, and I hope you have as much fun with it as I did.

Average Score: 7/10