Review by wolverinefan

"A great follow up"

Jumping Flash 2 is the sequel to one of my top 5 PS1 games. I actually played this game before the original way back when but I decided to play them in the correct order for when I reviewed them. I actually had my normal mode complete save so I pretty much played the Extra mode for this review but they are basically the same beside the time limits are shorter and bosses are harder. How does this game hold up to the original though? Read on!

Robbit has to team up with his arch nemesis from the first game because a new evil is trying to destroy the planets and kidnap the Muu's. Can Robbit stop this evil lipstick shaped freak? The plot is amusing and its narrative is obviously inspired by Rocky and Bullwinkle which I just find to be a highly amusing fact. What I really like though is that once you beat the game an extra mode opens and rest of the plot unfolds. Very nice.

The graphics have improved slightly over the first game. Character models have a little more detail and appear to be a bit smoother. The levels have more objects in them and they really got creative this time around. It's amazing having played these so close together and being able to see the change. The cut scenes are impressive as well but they do look a little bit grainy.

The sound in the game is top notch. The voice work is a little cheesy but come on it's a game about a robot rabbit named Robbit. I do like the voices though and can't imagine them any differently. The music is very cheerful and it fit nicely with the game. Sound effects were nice. I could also tell when cannon was near as it had a distant sound for when it shot. The Muu's make a chipper little sound when near them. It added an extra layer to the worlds and brought them to life a little more.

Control is really simple. You can jump and shoot. That's about it. Moving is simple but I found it a little harder to turn. There also isn't strafing so it's a little tough at first. After a few minuets it felt a little more natural but I think the first game had a little better control.

Like the original game this plays exactly the same. As Robbit you need to jump around these levels and instead of hunting for jet packs you need to loom for the Muu's which are cute little critters.

The level design has really taken a step forward. The worlds feel much more original. The second stage in the game is much larger than most in the original. It's wide open and while the draw distance is a very slight hindrance, it also stops you from always knowing where the Muu's are.

Actually, the second level just might be my favorite in the game. It has flying turtles, ships, islands, houses and it's just such a fantasy based level that I can't help but fall in love with it. Of course rest of the levels in the game are good and imaginative but that one just sticks in my head.

The game play itself is easy to understand. Jump, double jump, or even triple jump your way around the areas. Collecting power ups to take down the enemies (who seem to actually attack you now) and find those Muu. It's a simple concept and while nothing new has been added to this game that the original didn't have it's still just as fun.

Boss fights are still interesting and the difficulty has really spiked. The final boss gave me a lot of problems and it might have been due to control but I didn't have any problems until then.

Jumping Flash 2 is a decent length. Once you beat the game you unlock Extra mode but unlike other games the extra mode offers an entirely new story line that continues off of the normal sections plot. Really nice touch and while nothing has really changed besides the difficulty, it's a nice bonus for those who enjoy the plot.

Jumping Flash 2 is just as good as the original and I really couldn't pick from them as to which is the better game. If you loved one you'll love the other. It's one of the finest series you can play on the PS1 and those who have a PS3 can download the game from the Sony Store which is a plus (and it's only $5).

Story - 7/10