Review by Greatest One

"An excellent first attempt by SCEA at RPGs"

This game has convinced me. The morons at videogames.com don't know what they are talking about. Legend of Dragoon is an excellent RPG whose story is similar to FF7.
You play as Dart, a mercenary who finds out that his childhood friend has been kidnapped. In his quest to rescue her, he gets involved in a war and is immersed in a struggle to save the world. The story is very good, although it reminds you a lot of Final Fantasy 7. The gameplay is similar to other Final Fantasy games. The battle system is excellent and innovative. Your characters can do physical attacks and cast magical spells. There is an addition system that allows your characters to combo your attacks for greater damage. But, the best part is the dragoon system. Your characters can convert into dragoons(half human, half dragons) during battle to do massive damage. The dragoon conversions and dragoon spells simply look outstatnding.
The great visuals don't hinder the storyline. The characters all make you want to know more about them and are all very different. The story has a lot of plot twists that will surprise you. I am a relatively new RPG fan, and if you are like me and loved Final Fantasy 7, you should definitely get this game. You won't be disappointed.

Graphics: 10.
The graphics are awesome. The transformations and spells look incredible. They are better than anyhting the crappy N64 has to offer. Also the fmv's are some of the best yet for the PSX and that's saying a lot.

Sound: 8.
The music is pretty good, although not as great as the FF games. The addition of voice acting tothe fmvs is great.

Gameplay: 9.
It takes some time to master the game, especially the additions. But, once you do, you will be totally hooked.

Replay Value: 8.
I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know for sure. But, there are alot of things I want to go back and do, so replaying the game is rewarding.

Overall: 9.
When I first saw the trailer on TV, I was amazed. I was surprised to see the low scores on other online review sites, but went with my gut feeling. I wasn't wrong. This is one of the Playstation's best.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/02/00, Updated 07/02/00