Review by Chrono Cross

"Great game but falls short of FF series"

This game falls short of current top games such as Final Fantasy VII. However, for the most part, it takes best elements from games like Legend of Legia, Vagarant story, and FF VII & VIII making it a memorable game.

Graphics: 8

The graphic is a mixed bag. overall, it definitely falls short of standard set by FF VIII (I am a fan of Xenogears and Suikoden's 2D, but I know good graphics when I see one). Its overview and town map is non assuming. The models are small and the graphics are bland, much like Legend of Legia. The battle, however, is a notch up in the graphical department. It is vibrant and innovative. Yet, some of the chracter models are blocky and are no better than FF VII. The best part of the graphics is its FMV. In my opinion, it is easily on par with FF VIII.

Sound: 8.5

The music is fairly good. It fits the mood perfectly. Infact, I found humming some of the tunes myself. Its music falls just short of games like , Ys, Xenogears, and FF series to name a few. I like the battle voices, but not the FMV voices. The battle and FMV voices are totally different somehow. The FMV voices are too light. It seems that they don't understand the gravity of the situation.

Fun Factor: 8.5

Above average graphics and sound. The quest is long (around 30-40 hours). Combine that with fairly well written script (with only few grammerical errors) and you have a winning game. Note that it's innovative battle system, one of it's main strength, may be weakness to some. You will find majority of time in battle, instead of exploring or interacting. So to reduce some battle time, you may want to use one or two addtions throughout the game (for Dmg and SP purposes). Unlike you are like myself, and have to get every addtions.

Lasting appeal: 3

Like most of its genre, there is no reason to play this game second time around. There isn't much incentive. Suikoden series are fairly short, easy to get into, and have collectibility factor (I replayed each game at least three times). Legend of Dragoon have none of this. Even if you master the battle addtions, the battle will be a long one. This game has almost no replayability.

Overall: 8

Despite it's flaws, I enjoyed this game much more than FF VIII. And like FF VIII, you will most likely play this game only once. However, you will find its admission price worth the experience.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/04/00, Updated 07/04/00